RC Royal Crown cola- Canada

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
It had recently been brought to my attention that there is another generation of Canadian RC bottles not too often found. At first when I heard of this I said to my friend, who has a complete carton with bottles...It must be American because we never had those bottles!.. but he insisted they were Canadian and have the Dominion glass mark. He was not positive but believed it may be a first generation bottle, I had nothing to go on because for one, I'd never seen one...except for USA versions, and two...I'd never really researched them before.
Fast forward to the last week, I was in our local shop and picked up a RC cola (first gen) in excellent condition, on the same shelf there was that diamond shape label RC bottle!...After examining it I could not tell if it was Canadian or US because it was so dirty, ...it was clear glass, unlike most US versions are green tinged,...but I decided to leave it behind.
Then on a whim Monday afternoon I decided to stop in and look at it again, and figured what the heck...it's a nice bottle and will clean up well, and if it turns out to be a US version...no big deal :)
Once I got it cleaned up I was able to identify the makers mark on the side as Dominion glass...very same type of marking is found on several of my Crush bottles....that little diamond is tiny, but it's there!
So in the last couple of days I was able to determine the diamond at the top with the bowtie crown design was used between 1967-1969...a pretty short time period really.
In the process of this research I came across an Canadian style label RC but this one did not have the Block lettering, but instead has the same updated style RC as on the diamond label....so it appears there is also a transition label!
Another note is the fact the early bottles have CAN. T.M. REG. .... the transition bottle appears to have the ® mark, and the diamond label also has the ® mark.

Three generations of RC bottles, dated 1965, 1968, 1978

20180328_101944.jpg

First generation carton and bottles.
RC cola Canada (2).jpg

This is a 16oz first generation carton...note the absence of 'Cola'.... at this time I don't know if this was the standard color for the flavor bottles or if other colored cartons were made.
RC- Canada 16oz (1).jpg

This was the flavor bottle with no 'Cola' on it, I have no doubt it became filled with cola over it's use.
Other flavors that I know of are Club soda, Ginger ale, Lemon-lime, Orange,...I'm sure there has to be a few more!

RC flavor bottle1.jpg

This needs little introduction...the second generation carton and bottles.
RC cola cartons-Chris C. - Copy.jpg

This is the suspected transition bottle.
RC cola - Copy.png

A Canadian thermometer with the second gen bottle and the new RC logo.
RC cola -Canadian themometer.jpg

An American ad for 1967 showing the second gen bottle for Canada and carton.
I'm unsure what generation this bottle was for the USA...4th..5th?

RC ad 1967.jpg

An American ad for 1969...again a bit of a transition as it has the second gen bottle but also the new logo.
1969-RC transition.jpg

And a favorite...my 1961 Canadian RC sign
20180327_210241.jpg

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
I had a 16 oz Royal Crown bottle but not sure where it Is currently , found a picture of it in my pictures . it could be in a box in the garage if I still have it

royalcrown16oz.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Canadacan, that's some great info on the Canadian RC cola's. I have never seen the all blue cardboard cases either. Very nice. Most of my research was on the very early RC bottles, not the 60's or 70's one. I always wanted to collect all the variations of RC bottles but you have to put a limit somewhere.lol I have two of that style in American versions. A 10 oz with the 'bow tie' logo from 1968 and a half quart from 1961, both Owens Illinois. Excellent sign also.

rc x2.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
RCO... great bottle! I know they are out there those 16oz ers....I had seen a 16oz in green glass a year or longer back. I have however not seen a 16oz marked 'cola'.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Thanks iggyworf! Seeing your bottles (green tinged:)) and knowing the dates helps reconfirm what I now know...and my 10oz is also dated 1968!..great year!..that's my year :)
I never really pursued RC but in the last couple of years I've come across stuff so it's ended up in the collection. I'm not sure why RC had such a late entry into Canada but suspect it did not want to compete with Kik cola in the 40's and 50's.
I sure can see the appeal of the older RC American bottles!...some fantastic ones they are!

Last edited:

JKL

Reaction score
I have this bottle with the diamond logo. Not sure who gave me this bottle but I've had it for a while. The marks on bottom are small and faint but pretty sure Consumers Glass. I never knew the origins because of what looks like Asian icons on the bottle's neck.
20180329_113152.jpg20180329_113201.jpg20180329_113211.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
I have this bottle with the diamond logo. Not sure who gave me this bottle but I've had it for a while. The marks on bottom are small and faint but pretty sure Consumers Glass. I never knew the origins because of what looks like Asian icons on the bottle's neck.

Definitely not for the Canadian market, can't see it being a Consumers glass product?..unless they were contracted to produce the bottle? looks like Thai lettering possibly.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that stuff Canadacan. Never saw the Canadian RC items before. Cool!

Your welcome!...glad you enjoyed :) .... it was an interesting thing that they developed a distinctive Canadian style in the early years.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown