New Member & A Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jimsouth

Reaction score
Hello to all, Jim here. I'm a new member, and I have a question. Some years back, while out hunting pheasant, I pulled a bottle out of the ground on the edge of a field. I hope it's not a collectors piece, since I cannot find it. It just got lost in the shuffle. This is it: Sort of an aqua, maybe 6 or 7 ounce capacity, many bubbles in the glass, and mold blemishes. But not a speck of damage; not a single chip, not even a flea bite. From the MICKEY FLIP BOTTLING WORKS ( raised - embossed letters ). Anyone have any input? I believe I did post somethng about it on line a few years ago, and possibly a photo; so I may ( or you may ) be able to find my old post. If I remember correctly, it had a crown cap. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Jim

Last edited:

nhpharm

Reaction score
That's a cool bottle. Your original post in 2002 is pretty easy to find in Google. What part of the country did you find it in?

jimsouth

Reaction score
That's a cool bottle. Your original post in 2002 is pretty easy to find in Google. What part of the country did you find it in?

Found it in Pa - Schuylkill County; but so far I cannot find my old post from 2002. I get a lot of Mickey Mouse crap, but no Mickey Flip. I must be missing something in my search.

Last edited:

nhpharm

Reaction score
Thursday, December 05, 2002 10:32 AM subject: MICKEY FLIP SODA bottle enclosed pictures of a bottle from the MICKEY FLIP BOTTLING WORKS I found it about 30+++ years ago. No one can identify it. When I showed it to a private collector, he made a staggering offer in less than a minute. Bells went off and I'm doing more research. It's a 61/2 ounce content, pale aqua or pale green aqua. Condition is superb; many bubbles in the glass, low quality mold ( bumps, etc. ); but condition is near perfect. Crown cap ( which to me does not say a rare bottle ). On the bottom are the letters LL. Any information appreciated. Also has the word REGISTERED on top below the neck. Thanks Jim

Attachments

• mickey1dec02.jpg
    mickey1dec02.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 241
  • mickey2dec02.jpg
    mickey2dec02.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 243
  • mickey3dec02.jpg
    mickey3dec02.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 225

jimsouth

Reaction score
Thursday, December 05, 2002 10:32 AM subject: MICKEY FLIP SODA bottle enclosed pictures of a bottle from the MICKEY FLIP BOTTLING WORKS I found it about 30+++ years ago. No one can identify it. When I showed it to a private collector, he made a staggering offer in less than a minute. Bells went off and I'm doing more research. It's a 61/2 ounce content, pale aqua or pale green aqua. Condition is superb; many bubbles in the glass, low quality mold ( bumps, etc. ); but condition is near perfect. Crown cap ( which to me does not say a rare bottle ). On the bottom are the letters LL. Any information appreciated. Also has the word REGISTERED on top below the neck. Thanks Jim

That be it; but where it got to is a mystery. I also found interesting bottles when I was seriously into metal detecting. When I first bought my Whites Goldmaster metal detector, I was so amped up, I would crawl into the most ungodly places, and never considered what could be waiting for me ( rattlers, yellow jackets, wasps, copperheads ). I guess there is a divine providence that watches over drunks, kids, and idiots. The old Whites is now 40 years old, and it still knocks em out of the park. It beeps, you got a find. Concerning the Mickey Flip; I probably should have sold it to that collector when the money was on the table. If I remember, he offered a nice chunk of money. At least I would know it's safe in a collection, and not in the wind.

Last edited:

jimsouth

Reaction score
I contacted the US Patent Office. Since the bottle is registerd, the possibiity exists it has a legal background, and there may be information on the company. Anyway, worth a shot. Jim

nhpharm

Reaction score
I am pretty certain your bottle is from Scranton, Pennsylvania. There was a bottling company starting in 1920 or so that was called the Flip Manufacturing Company and was owned by a fellow named Miksa Swartz (I bet that is where the Mickey came from). He previously owned a company named "Swartz & Co." that was also a bottler in the 1910's. He even had a design patent on a bottle.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/0b/65/9a/0f6d99b791e9af/USD69920.pdf

jimsouth

Reaction score
I am pretty certain your bottle is from Scranton, Pennsylvania. There was a bottling company starting in 1920 or so that was called the Flip Manufacturing Company and was owned by a fellow named Miksa Swartz (I bet that is where the Mickey came from). He previously owned a company named "Swartz & Co." that was also a bottler in the 1910's. He even had a design patent on a bottle.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/0b/65/9a/0f6d99b791e9af/USD69920.pdf

You're probably correct. I wish it hadn't disappeared.

Last edited:

jimsouth

Reaction score
Over the years, if it was old, as far as I was concerned, it was worth saving. I also collected documents ( original documents ) from PA's Coal Region. Mostly reports on deaths & injuries at collieries. Sold, & am still selling them off to serious collectors. There are certain artifacts, that once gone, they are gone forever. I found an old Heroin bottle from way back ( cork stopper ); paper lable still intact. That sold quickly. The nice thing about glass is, if not physically damaged, it will last almost forever. The reason paper - documents, stamps, etc. command serious prices. Paper is fragile & will deteriorate quickly if not attended properly. I was amazed the lable survived on the old Heroin bottle I found. I know poison bottles are hot collectibles.

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
What do you consider a Staggering offer? Curious? LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado