IHP dated 1887

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RelicRaker

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I don't metal detect, so I never find coins in my bottle digs. After all, what are the chances of finding a dime or penny in 20 tons of earth, ash, and clay? But yesterday I found a penny. Unfortunately it was so corroded and crusty that I couldn't get anything off it.

After a day's soak in vinegar & salt, however...
[/FONT]
IHP 1887.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
don't think I've ever found a coin that old , at least not one with date readable , its actually not in that bad of condition

according to coin book 1887 is a common date and close to 45million coins were made

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Too harsh a solution. It'll eat up the copper, too.
In the future, try boiling it in H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). Then add baking soda to neutralise it.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Thanks, Spirit Bear, for the tip. Glad I didn't destroy it. (I did give it a baking soda & water bath after.)

I'm gonna go back and recheck that area. Will definitely use peroxide if more coins turn up.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Wow! I see what you mean. A beauty.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
As you can see in your penny, the copper is now pitted and unnatural from the vinegar. But in my penny, the corrosion has been diminished yet the copper still maintains a natural patina. It's the difference in solutions that leads to the 'cleaning', but the H2O2 is the best go-to. If that doesn't work, supposedly electrolysis is the next best option-- but I've never tried it.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Yeah I pretty much wrecked it. Chances of finding another are slim, but definitely will go with peroxide if I do.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Actually, it came out a lot better than many I've seen. But, yes, the boiling H2O2 is the best option.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora