The 1870's Cobalt Blue Privy.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Me & Tom Got out again today. We probed a spot in the past that I was not to impressed with but Tom thought it was a great spot. It looked good on the Sanborn Maps. SO, After much delay we decided to try it today. The first 2 feet Tom found a Koppitz Melcher Quart Blob Top Beer. A good sign. BUT, After the first 2 feet it was about 3 feet of a clay cap we had to dig through. I was questioning if anything else was in there but Tom would repeatly probe through the 3 feet of Clay & insist under it was a ton of bottles. He wouldn't let me probe it I don't know, just had to take his word. After 3 feet & through the thick & hard as a rock Clay cap Tom hits some shards but not much else, he tires out & I jump in to pull out a Cantrell & Cochrane Dublin Belfast Torpedo bottle. I figure it's gotta be 1870's because the broken Pikes Peak flask had a 1870's type of top lip on it. But I figure that Koppitz was maybe 1880's or 90's. PIC BELOW. LEON. KoppitzQuartBlob.jpgC&C.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Then I hear that sound of my shovel lightly scraping across glass, so i grab the small plastic hand rake to carefully remove some dirt from around it & I see a 1870's Squat Soda in Cobalt Blue. I get real excited now because it looks whole & any 1870's Cobalt Blue squat is a good bottle no matter what. SO, I carefully release it from it's 150 year old resting spot. I wipe the dirt off & as soon as I see that familiar embossing I automatically know what it is. A Killer P. WOLF From Detroit Michigan. On the front it has embossing of a Flying Eagle & Sheild behind it. Cool looking bottle. Not super rare as I seen a few before but definitely a tough bottle & much better find then if it was a Norris. Pics below. LEON.Wolf.jpgWolf2.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Some pics of the 7 feet deep hole. can you see the 3 feet deep of clay in walls of hole.TheHole.jpgTomInHole.jpgTomPictureingHole.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
We didn't find much else, a cool little Port Huron Michigan bottle, Some Trasks Ointments, some slicks, but never did find that huge boat load of bottles Tom insisted was below that Clay Cap. SO, We decided to fill it in & move one. Hope you enjoyed the Story & Pics. Pic of the total take below. LEON.GroupPic.jpg

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks for taking us along Hemi. Cool pics of the the bottles coming out. The cobalt is gorgeous. Is it pontilled?

hemihampton

Reaction score
No Pontil, came out right after the pontils. Heres a pic WolfsGroup.jpgof some of my Wolfs in my Collection. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu