Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Finder

Altered Coca-Cola bottle

Recently dug this Wilmore, Ky Bottling Works. Seems they had been a Coca-Cola franchise- wanted to keep using similar mold- and altered bottle or mold to remove "Coca-Cola/ Trade Mark Registered". First 2 pics show bottle, 3rd pic shows unaltered mold on a damaged bottle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180421_110148245.jpg   IMG_20180421_110205359.jpg   wilmoreJ.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master
    That's awesome! Very interesting bottle. Congratulations!

Senior Member Bottle Master Robby Raccoon's Avatar
    They certainly beat the devil out of that part of the mould.

That is such a cool find! Never seen one like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Bear View Post
    They certainly beat the devil out of that part of the mould.
    It wasn't the mold, it was the bottle itself. They used something, I'm guessing sand blasting, to remove the logo from the bottle so they didn't have to buy more stock after losing/abandoning the franchise (I assume). There's a crinkly Orange Crush bottle I see regularly in an antique store which has had the embossing blasted off for what I assume is a similar reason. I'm always tempted to buy it, but reconsider when I realize it's $10 for a damaged Crush bottle with no provenance.

My first impression was that they ground or blasted the bottle. But then thought that too labor intensive if they had many bottles to do. but now do believe that they altered the bottle and not the mold.

What they might have done was cut a hole into a piece of steel to fit over each bottle so only the logo was showing to the sandblaster, that probably wouldn't have been too labour-intensive. Or they could have just ground them off one by one, even that would likely have been cheaper than ordering a new batch.

Junior Member New Bottler
    Wilmore. KY is not listed in Porters Book, so this is an unknown Coca Cola bottle. At least the one with the script is and considered valuable, even damaged. The other might also be one since you can make out the Coca Cola through the removal.

Supposedly 2 or 3 with "Coca-Cola" exists. I have never seen them. I was at the site when the damaged example pictured was dug.

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    WOW, congrats on a rare find. Very Interesting. LEON.

Junior Member New Bottler
    Never have I thought the bottler would take center stage, I have much to learn about Coca Cola bottles.
    !!!!!Has anyone ever heard of or seen a bottle with a molded a Coca Coca label?