Senior Member Bottle Master

Finnish Bottling Works - Sudbury Ont bottle

another bottle show find , got this from a collector who used to live in northern Ontario and seems to have a lot of Northern bottles for sale . seller also told me he had a quart version of this bottle but had already sold it earlier in the show or at some other point

don't know a lot about it and can't recall ever seeing one before which was partly why it appealed to me . have a couple other Sudbury bottles but none this old

embossed on front " Finnish Bottling Works co Sudbury Ontario " registered , somewhat of a plain design although in an odd shape

my book lists it as from 1914 although I suspect it lasted longer and company appears to become "star bottling works " by the 1920's , they switch names for some reason . there was a large amount of immigrants from Finland in northern Ontario which would explain the name and fact some had started a bottling operation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finnishbottling-sudbury1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	182697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finnishbottling-sudbury.jpg 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	182698

another picture might be a bit clearer and easier to read embossing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4270001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	182699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4270001.jpg 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	182700

I like that one! I wonder if they bottled a particular type of Finnish soda. I always like seeing bottles that indicate a unique aspect of a particular area's history.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    I like that one! I wonder if they bottled a particular type of Finnish soda. I always like seeing bottles that indicate a unique aspect of a particular area's history.
    have no idea what they bottled , or if there are uniquely Finnish soda's from that era . although this bottler was clearly being run by people of Finnish origin

my book also lists a " finnish bottling works " 1915-1930 in Sault Ste Marie Ontario and unsure if there related but likely some connection , maybe seen 1 bottle from them online once but seem hard to find