Curious about quart jar - could be anytime from 1900's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottle_Newbie

Reaction score
Got some land basically in a ghost town in north central Nebraska, and found this bottle today while walking through it. Could be from 1900's to 1960's. I've found license plates from the late 20's/30's, wheels from horse drawn hay mowers, and all kinds of old stuff scattered around. Anybody have any ideas?

I did some googling and looked through maker's marks, couldn't find anything very similar. The ribbed sides are a distinctive touch. 8.5" high, 4" wide.

Only markings on it are a "Design Patented" and "53 <mark> 40" and "5". In pic three the extra stuff are soap bubbles from when I washed it out. Oops. :grin:

The mark is.. an M with a triangle under it? Or?? What I thought of when I saw it was, "That's what I would draw if somebody told me to draw the Liberty Bell".

Anyway, hope it's interesting and somebody has an idea. Wife thinks it's an old honey jar. I'm stumped.

27071772357_0abe3ee476_b.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
That is the Hazel Atlas mark. Bottle looks to date from about 1935-1945.

Bottle_Newbie

Reaction score
Aha.. I didn't look at maker marks starting with H. And timeframe fits, place was a bit of a boom town during the New Deal. Thank you!

Not a common shape that can be identified with a specific product, I take it? I read that they made a lot of products, so not extremely surprised by that. Town did have a creamery and mill and other businesses.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Food product of some kind...pretty generic so could have been anything from mayo or peanut butter to any number of canned items like pickles or something like that.

Bottle_Newbie

Reaction score
Appreciate it!

Dug up a Dr. Hostetter's Stomach Bitters bottle as a kid in a creek that turned out to be the old town dump. Always been kind of interested in old bottles since then, but never put time into starting.

Mr. Hemingray

Reaction score
If my thoughts are correct and I read the numbers correctly, this bottle was made in mold 53 in 1940. Newer Hemingray molds were like this. You'd see something like 29-41 which indicated mold 29 was used and it was a 1941 date mold.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Looks like a Hair Gel bottle to me. I remember my Mom using similar bottles on me in the early 1970's. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu