Information on small 2 inch glass inserts

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fnash

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently, I was out metal detecting and discovered a milk glass jar lid insert unlike any I've seen before, and I'm having trouble finding anything out about it, what it was used for, what time period it may have been used, etc. It's a 2 inch glass insert, still with part of the matching zinc lid on it. I think it's one of the coolest finds I've ever made, but would love any help at all on getting more information, pictures if what it might have been used for, etc.

Here is a picture of it, with the zinc portion, next to a regular size white glass insert like you would typically find for most mason or ball type jars.

20180513_172036.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble telling from the photos, but is it the insert for a midget Mason's jar?

fnash

Reaction score
There is no embossing on it at all. It's completely free of markings. At least now I know what they are called and what to look for. Until I found this, I never knew these existed. Now I need to find a jar to match it up with so I can have a complete display.

coreya

Reaction score
The midgets are hard to find, with the complete lids more so, I have a dozen or so midgets but only 1/2 have lids and one lid is missing the insert and I've been collecting for about 25 years.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Mason's Patent Nov 30th 1858 set of 4.jpg
For a visual perspective, the midget pint is second from the right. The midget lid also fits the unmarked half pint on the right.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi