Senior Member Bottle Master

Antique fishing reel - first dives of 2018

I guess an antique fishing reel is not totally unexpected when you are scuba diving, but I'm ahead of my story.

My boat wasn't running right last year, so, I thought the canoe would be safer for my first trip out. Plus, Coldwater was diving off a kayak. The canoe should work great. It has good storage space. It's easy to launch. You don't need a permit or even a motor, you can paddle it out. We planned to dive a cool lake that we rarely go to with limited access.

And then this . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canoe.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	182971

No way that was going to strap onto my pick up and not be a hazard to every other human on the road.
    Change of plans.
    We discussed ideas but rivers were out. We've had 6 inches of rain this month. Way too much current. We settled on an over-picked spot that used to have stuff years ago. But at least it was something, a start to our dive season.

After the middle of my second tank, I had found a few crappy crowns and a common and damaged milk. Then while searching around a submerged stump, I felt the reel. It was so lucky and it totally saved my trip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reel2018.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	182972

Senior Member Bottle Master coldwater diver's Avatar
    Hi Bob,
    Yup that's a tad big! Sorry I have not been on in a while, check those rivers once they calm down. I hope you find lots of good stuff this year. Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I hope you have a great year too.