No clue what this is

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DouglasFresh1980

Reaction score
Any help with this would be much appreciated. I really love the symbols on the bottom. I think it might be a horseshoe and maybe a skull but I’m not sure. I hope this is pre1900. Thanks again for all you guys do on here, I love this forum.
2itol8i.jpg

24cvead.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I think it's a pickle bottle, likely from Europe. Never seen one quite like that but the shape is typical for pickle bottles. The monogram is CM I think.

DouglasFresh1980

Reaction score
I think it's a pickle bottle, likely from Europe. Never seen one quite like that but the shape is typical for pickle bottles. The monogram is CM I think.

Maybe I was holding it upside down eh? It looks like horseshoes to me dammit lol. I think you are right about it being a pickle jar.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I agree it does look like a horseshoe! It's a very typical font for the time period. The M is a lot less typical, and I'm still not 100% certain that's what it is but it looks more like an M than anything else I can think of.

DouglasFresh1980

Reaction score
This is near where I found it. Had to do a little photo shoots for her.
25s8mf5.jpg

DouglasFresh1980

Reaction score
Yeah I agree it does look like a horseshoe! It's a very typical font for the time period. The M is a lot less typical, and I'm still not 100% certain that's what it is but it looks more like an M than anything else I can think of.

You mentioned time period...do you have a ballpark guess right now? I’ve been doing some research but no luck yet.

shotdwn

Reaction score
I agree with CanadianBottles on probable use of the bottle but the monogram looks to read CHM to me. As for time period I would guess it is sometime around 1900.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I am pleased to see the monogram (it is of a French exporter which I have seen on other French bottles). I have a similar bottle with a pontil scar instead of the monogram. It dates to the last quarter of the 19th Century (The French used a disk pontil much longer than American bottle-makers). A variety of French bottles were imported here containing condiments -- pickles, olives, and particularly capers.

pickle_small_green.jpg

DouglasFresh1980

Reaction score
Wow. Thank you so much Harry. I have done a lot of researching and I can’t find anything. Do you have any sources/websites you can share so I can look further. Do you know the name of the company? Thanks so much, you’ve made my night.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Yes, I do know something of the company. The monogram is "A G M". I'm not certain about the "M" part. They stand for "Alfred Gounelle [Marseilles]". He patented (in France) a number of food containers, operating from as early as the 1860s to the late 1890s.

See page 163 in Zumwalt's KETCHUP PICKLES SAUCES.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora