Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No clue what this is

Any help with this would be much appreciated. I really love the symbols on the bottom. I think it might be a horseshoe and maybe a skull but Iím not sure. I hope this is pre1900. Thanks again for all you guys do on here, I love this forum.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    I think it's a pickle bottle, likely from Europe. Never seen one quite like that but the shape is typical for pickle bottles. The monogram is CM I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    I think it's a pickle bottle, likely from Europe. Never seen one quite like that but the shape is typical for pickle bottles. The monogram is CM I think.
    Maybe I was holding it upside down eh? It looks like horseshoes to me dammit lol. I think you are right about it being a pickle jar.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Yeah I agree it does look like a horseshoe! It's a very typical font for the time period. The M is a lot less typical, and I'm still not 100% certain that's what it is but it looks more like an M than anything else I can think of.

This is near where I found it. Had to do a little photo shoots for her.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    Yeah I agree it does look like a horseshoe! It's a very typical font for the time period. The M is a lot less typical, and I'm still not 100% certain that's what it is but it looks more like an M than anything else I can think of.
    You mentioned time period...do you have a ballpark guess right now? I’ve been doing some research but no luck yet.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    I agree with CanadianBottles on probable use of the bottle but the monogram looks to read CHM to me. As for time period I would guess it is sometime around 1900.

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    I am pleased to see the monogram (it is of a French exporter which I have seen on other French bottles). I have a similar bottle with a pontil scar instead of the monogram. It dates to the last quarter of the 19th Century (The French used a disk pontil much longer than American bottle-makers). A variety of French bottles were imported here containing condiments -- pickles, olives, and particularly capers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pickle_small_green.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	182985

Wow. Thank you so much Harry. I have done a lot of researching and I can’t find anything. Do you have any sources/websites you can share so I can look further. Do you know the name of the company? Thanks so much, you’ve made my night.

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Yes, I do know something of the company. The monogram is "A G M". I'm not certain about the "M" part. They stand for "Alfred Gounelle [Marseilles]". He patented (in France) a number of food containers, operating from as early as the 1860s to the late 1890s.

See page 163 in Zumwalt's KETCHUP PICKLES SAUCES.