Senior Member Bottle Finder

Cleaning dust off old bottles

I have a few window bottles (some Stoddard liquors and some local western medicines), and they have been collecting dust since I museum waxed them in their place.

What is a safe way to remove the dust without affecting the patina and surface of the glass. Mainly concerned with scratching the glass or causing whirl marks that aren't already there. Maybe I'm obsessing on this subject too much.

I'd prefer to keep the bottles in-place, so that I don't have to re-museum wax them.

Some thoughts:

Microfiber cloth?

COmpressed air in a can?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Tempted to use a dry microfiber cloth...Can anyone share what they use to clean off dust?

Thanks.

Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar
    I've never had any problems with microfiber cloth except that the bottles I've painted the embossing on will lose that paint over time. I'd also use Windex on ones you want to keep shiny and clean. For those with that flaky iridescence, I'd think compressed air is best. But, light (almost no) pressure with the cloth should suffice.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
    Yes, I have some bottles that are cleaned (tumbled) and some that have a ground patina (dug) that I would like to preserve. Thank you for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Bear View Post
    I've never had any problems with microfiber cloth except that the bottles I've painted the embossing on will lose that paint over time. I'd also use Windex on ones you want to keep shiny and clean. For those with that flaky iridescence, I'd think compressed air is best. But, light (almost no) pressure with the cloth should suffice.