bottle cap for local "orange" drink found metal detecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
on Friday night to kill some time I fooled around with my metal detector on a local beach here , really wasn't expecting to find much of anything . think the only coin I've ever found on that beach was a penny

but I ended up finding several old bottle caps that were stuck in some clay and had been preserved fairly well

- Canada Dry Ginger Ale , Kingsbeer ( never heard of before ) and Orange for Browns Beverages Gravenhurst Ontario .

if you've read my posts before they were our main local bottler , found tons of there bottles over the years but never an intact bottle cap that was actually readable

post some more pictures when its cleaned up

20180526_104727.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
just cleaned it off a little , think i'll hold back for time being as paint and metal itself seems rather fragile

but its mostly all there , can see at the top says " Brown beverages ltd " and at bottom " Gravenhurst " very small print

on the sides says contains 1/10 of 1 % benzoate of ? ( can't read rest and not sure what benzoate was )

not sure exactly when they used this cap but looks like an old old maybe 50's or 60's era

P5260002.jpg

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Cool. While I often find them with the cork lining still intact, I never find them with the paint still readable when pulling them out of the ground.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Great finds! It's not often that you find a cap that nice, especially not out of the mud. Probably a pretty rare one too, those local caps are usually quite hard to find.

As for Kingsbeer, it was a Dow product apparently. I've heard of them once or twice before but not commonly, must not have been that popular.

RCO

Reaction score
Great finds! It's not often that you find a cap that nice, especially not out of the mud. Probably a pretty rare one too, those local caps are usually quite hard to find.

As for Kingsbeer, it was a Dow product apparently. I've heard of them once or twice before but not commonly, must not have been that popular.

have seen Brown's caps before , there is several different variations as they had a large flavour line ( ginger ale , Lime drink , Grapefruit etc ) the orange drink was one of there more popular products so I'm sure there is others still in existence but wouldn't be super common

I'm thinking the cap must of been face down in the clay in an area of beach which stays dry most of the time , which is how it stayed so nice

RCO

Reaction score
Cool. While I often find them with the cork lining still intact, I never find them with the paint still readable when pulling them out of the ground.

I have found a lot of caps before but mostly all modern beer and rusty old caps which are unreadable , is a large beach here on Georgian bay ( wasaga beach) is an area near the main beach used for camping and I've been there several times and I've literally removed 100's of beer caps each time but never found any worth keeping and only found the odd coin ( penny , nickels or dimes )

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
If you get the rusty caps and they aren't in that bad shape, you can sometimes get the paint to show up again by soaking them in lemon juice (or, if you're feeling particularly dedicated, oxalic acid). It's the same type of paint as old beer cans so it works more or less the same.

RCO

Reaction score
If you get the rusty caps and they aren't in that bad shape, you can sometimes get the paint to show up again by soaking them in lemon juice (or, if you're feeling particularly dedicated, oxalic acid). It's the same type of paint as old beer cans so it works more or less the same.

I don't imagine any of the caps I found at wasaga beach would be worth cleaning up , all modern or semi modern beer caps

do however have a 30 oz muskoka dry ginger ale bottle , on it is a rusty cap , that was on it when I found it in the 90's , always assumed its an original cap and you can barely see the outline of a logo but not sure it would clean up

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi