Old molds for reproduction/art

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mattypo

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum here and not really sure to post this I figured reproduction would be the best for this subject. My apologies if this is the wrong area. I love all of these old bottles, specifically all the small ones with the embossed lettering. Slug plates I believe they are called? The little poison bottles, the little medicine bottles, I love em! I was wondering if there are any molds out there? Does anyone collect them? I can't find any information out there, just about bottles. I am a glass artist based out of Massachusetts, I work with borosilicate glass and would love to bring back some of these antique styles, perhaps with some modern color and custom plates. I figured this would be the best place to ask, been playing with this idea for a long time now. Thanks for reading and if anyone has any info about the old holds I would love to hear about it. Thanks for reading!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

nhpharm

Reaction score
The molds are very rare as most of them were melted down in the WWI and WWII scrap drives. I have one for an "American Feeding Bottle" but you will find that for the most part the old bottle molds are about impossible to find.

Mattypo

Reaction score
The molds are very rare as most of them were melted down in the WWI and WWII scrap drives. I have one for an "American Feeding Bottle" but you will find that for the most part the old bottle molds are about impossible to find.
Thanks for the reply and the info! Next step is finding some bottles and making my own molds!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Yes, making your own moulds is a very good idea-- it would save a lot of expense, as original moulds are super hard to come by. If you decide to reproduce a bottle, though, make sure it's clearly a reproduction to even the least knowledgeable person on bottles (such as having on the base "REPRODUCTION" embossed).

Good luck.

KSESTATE

Reaction score
Great idea on making molds. Depending on how good you want the end product, will be the mold price. You can go from one whittled from wood which has low life to CNC cast iron. Evan a pile of sand and clay will work if your are adventurous. Also check the different methods of molding and be careful. A good pattern shop should be able to help you. Any foundry, die cast, stamping shop, should be able to give you some names if none local. Also you may be able to get in contact with a glass bottle making co. If there are any left. they may have some contacts or insight. All tho theirs is fully automatic MFG. Good luck with your project.

Dreams never die, just the dreamers!

Last edited:

chisler

Reaction score
I know this is from 2018, but I was wondering how Mattypo made out in his quest to find molds for making blown bottles. I’ve been involved in engraving the dies (slug plates) for various glass houses including, Clevenger Glass, Pairpoint, Wheaton Arts, Millville Art Glass and a few others. I now use some of the plates for pressing suncatchers and paperweights. I also do work for Eastern National, which own most of the national Parks. They also use the plates for making suncatchers. Please see my site on Facebook at Holly City Art Glass.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi