Senior Member Bottle Master

Penetang Bottling co - acl soda bottle Penetang Ont

haven't really acquired any interested soda bottles since the Toronto bottle show , been very slow , yard sales here have been a total bust so far this year , not just for bottles but for anything old and interesting .

did however recently find this bottle at a local antique mall and had been looking for some bottles from this bottler . but there fairly hard to come by

its from Penetanguishene Ontario or Penetang , which is a small town on Georgian bay known for being of French Canadian origin , not much going on there now , wouldn't think it had its own bottler at some point

this bottle is a small 6 1/2 oz acl version ( also a larger sized version which has a slightly different logo , ginger ale bottle and an older 20's/30's era embossed bottle from this bottler ) they were also the local coca cola bottler and lasted into at least the late 60's , although I think this bottle is from the 50's

on the back says " wholesome , refreshing , its delicious " bottled by Penetang bottling co Penetang Ont .

acl has some wear to front and back but overall the bottle is in pretty descent shape , seen others from same bottler that were much worse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5310001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	183064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5310003.jpg 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	183065

the other Penetang Bottling co bottle that I have is the art deco version they used earlier on , its somewhat unique and not really at all similar to the acl bottles they used

Name:	penetangbottlingN.jpg 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	183066

That art deco is interesting, never seen that design before. Any idea if it's a generic design of not? The embossing being in a slug plate-ish design suggests it is, but it's very different from typical Canadian generic designs. As for such a small town having a bottler, they likely distributed to other towns in the region. I've got an ACL from Bourget which is a village so small that at that time it was basically just a crossroads with a few houses and shops, they barely even have a street grid.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    That art deco is interesting, never seen that design before. Any idea if it's a generic design of not? The embossing being in a slug plate-ish design suggests it is, but it's very different from typical Canadian generic designs. As for such a small town having a bottler, they likely distributed to other towns in the region. I've got an ACL from Bourget which is a village so small that at that time it was basically just a crossroads with a few houses and shops, they barely even have a street grid.

pretty sure the art deco is a unique design , haven't seen anything similar from Ontario or Canada . does appear to be an original design , also recall there being a green version of that bottle , recall seeing one at an antique store before but its not easy to find

( looked at the bottle , only marking on it is a D in a triangle , for Dominion glass who made the bottle , also only 6 1/2 oz looks bigger )

this bottler would of been distributing to the Penetang / Midland area If you were to look on a map ( i'd say a 10-15 km radius of penetang ) , was no bottler in Midland and its the largest town in that area , also some other small towns and tourist areas in that area that would of required soda pop for there stores and such

but they wouldn't of been distributing into Orillia , Barrie or Collingwood areas as those towns and cities all had there own bottlers

also never found a bottle form this company in the wild , even though I've checked lakes and such that are close to its area , but never gone swimming in the penetang/ midland area where it be much more likely to find one
    Last edited by RCO; 06-01-2018 at 09:01 AM.

don't have a picture of the green art deco bottle but here is a picture of the 10 oz version of the Penetang beverages bottle and the small 7 oz ginger ale bottle , I've only ever seen 1 and it was at an antique store and not for sale , its really hard to find for some reason

Name:	penetangbeverages.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	183067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	penetangdrygingerale.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	183068

also one other Penetang bottling co related bottle that I know of and currently have one that I acquired a couple years ago from a seller in that area .

it appears they tried to re brand or change there name in the final years of operation . perhaps to appeal to a wider area and the towns outside of Penetang itself ( region is often refered to as Huronia , due to it having been home to the Huron tribe years ago , who had some villages along the bay )

as this bottle is for "Huronia Beverages " but looks identical to the Penetang 10 oz bottle and says bottled by penetang bottling co on back

Name:	P6010001.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	183069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6010002.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	183070