Penetang Bottling co - acl soda bottle Penetang Ont

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
haven't really acquired any interested soda bottles since the Toronto bottle show , been very slow , yard sales here have been a total bust so far this year , not just for bottles but for anything old and interesting .

did however recently find this bottle at a local antique mall and had been looking for some bottles from this bottler . but there fairly hard to come by

its from Penetanguishene Ontario or Penetang , which is a small town on Georgian bay known for being of French Canadian origin , not much going on there now , wouldn't think it had its own bottler at some point

this bottle is a small 6 1/2 oz acl version ( also a larger sized version which has a slightly different logo , ginger ale bottle and an older 20's/30's era embossed bottle from this bottler ) they were also the local coca cola bottler and lasted into at least the late 60's , although I think this bottle is from the 50's

on the back says " wholesome , refreshing , its delicious " bottled by Penetang bottling co Penetang Ont .

acl has some wear to front and back but overall the bottle is in pretty descent shape , seen others from same bottler that were much worse

P5310001.jpgP5310003.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
the other Penetang Bottling co bottle that I have is the art deco version they used earlier on , its somewhat unique and not really at all similar to the acl bottles they used

penetangbottlingN.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That art deco is interesting, never seen that design before. Any idea if it's a generic design of not? The embossing being in a slug plate-ish design suggests it is, but it's very different from typical Canadian generic designs. As for such a small town having a bottler, they likely distributed to other towns in the region. I've got an ACL from Bourget which is a village so small that at that time it was basically just a crossroads with a few houses and shops, they barely even have a street grid.

RCO

Reaction score
That art deco is interesting, never seen that design before. Any idea if it's a generic design of not? The embossing being in a slug plate-ish design suggests it is, but it's very different from typical Canadian generic designs. As for such a small town having a bottler, they likely distributed to other towns in the region. I've got an ACL from Bourget which is a village so small that at that time it was basically just a crossroads with a few houses and shops, they barely even have a street grid.

pretty sure the art deco is a unique design , haven't seen anything similar from Ontario or Canada . does appear to be an original design , also recall there being a green version of that bottle , recall seeing one at an antique store before but its not easy to find

( looked at the bottle , only marking on it is a D in a triangle , for Dominion glass who made the bottle , also only 6 1/2 oz looks bigger )

this bottler would of been distributing to the Penetang / Midland area If you were to look on a map ( i'd say a 10-15 km radius of penetang ) , was no bottler in Midland and its the largest town in that area , also some other small towns and tourist areas in that area that would of required soda pop for there stores and such

but they wouldn't of been distributing into Orillia , Barrie or Collingwood areas as those towns and cities all had there own bottlers

also never found a bottle form this company in the wild , even though I've checked lakes and such that are close to its area , but never gone swimming in the penetang/ midland area where it be much more likely to find one

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
don't have a picture of the green art deco bottle but here is a picture of the 10 oz version of the Penetang beverages bottle and the small 7 oz ginger ale bottle , I've only ever seen 1 and it was at an antique store and not for sale , its really hard to find for some reason

penetangbeverages.jpgpenetangdrygingerale.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
also one other Penetang bottling co related bottle that I know of and currently have one that I acquired a couple years ago from a seller in that area .

it appears they tried to re brand or change there name in the final years of operation . perhaps to appeal to a wider area and the towns outside of Penetang itself ( region is often refered to as Huronia , due to it having been home to the Huron tribe years ago , who had some villages along the bay )

as this bottle is for "Huronia Beverages " but looks identical to the Penetang 10 oz bottle and says bottled by penetang bottling co on back

P6010001.jpgP6010002.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
we had an antique show here last weekend , way too warm in that building but oddly enough I did actually buy 1 bottle when I was there .

it appears to be an older Penetang Bottling co bottle that I was not aware existed , my book says they started operating in 1922 , so I assume this bottle is early and from that era before they switched over to the more fancy looking art deco I posted

this bottle says " contents 7 oz, Penetang Bottling Co'y , Penetang Ont " no other markings but looks early , not sure if I've ever seen one before but definitely never found one or had a chance to buy one

P7050002.jpgP7050003.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
some other pictures which are a bit clearer and show the embossing better

P7050001.jpgP7050003.jpg

Hallibag

Reaction score
don't have a picture of the green art deco bottle but here is a picture of the 10 oz version of the Penetang beverages bottle and the small 7 oz ginger ale bottle , I've only ever seen 1 and it was at an antique store and not for sale , its really hard to find for some reason

Here's something discovered just today at a yard sale near Wasaga Beach, Ontario. Note the piece of masking tape on the bottom with "1938" written on it. I presume somebody thought this was the year the bottle was made?

pen1.jpgpen2.jpgpen3.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu