Part of the blowing process??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleheadz

Reaction score
IMG_20180521_165204.jpgIMG_20180521_165214.jpgIMG_20180521_165235.jpgIMG_20180521_165250.jpgIMG_20180521_165316.jpg

Okay I was digging in an area where there were many hundreds of melted hutch era bottles :( :(.. I'm most certain it was a site where these bottles were either made or somehow scrapped.. I have found many of these rings.. I'm thinking that they were used in the blowing process to maybe hold onto a bottle before it was placed into a mold?? Don't know.. Do these have a name? They have a slight conical hole that tapers toward the broken or cut side (maybe making it easier to pull off once used). The un-cut side is swirled some like as if the glass received some twisting from maybe a rod?? I'll buy ice cream to whomever can solve this! ;):rolleyes:

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Those are the lips off carboys. The taper you describe sounds like the fitting for a cork. I have one similar, though I've never bothered to photograph it.

carboy.JPG

Bottleheadz

Reaction score
Those are the lips off carboys. The taper you describe sounds like the fitting for a cork. I have one similar, though I've never bothered to photograph it.

View attachment 183078

I think you nailed it! Very impressive! You are a bottle master...! Man I can't imagine finding the actual bottle still intact for something that size..The cork taper makes perfect sense! I'm impressed with how clean the bottom has sheared from the neck.. All of them are like that.. I will still buy you ice cream is you give me your email. I'll send a paypal gift! ;)

Bottleheadz

Reaction score

View attachment 183078

I think you nailed it! Very impressive! You are a bottle master...! Man I can't imagine finding the actual bottle still intact for something that size..The cork taper makes perfect sense! I'm impressed with hoe clean the bottom has sheared from the neck.. All of them are like that.. I will still buy you ice cream is you give me your email. I'll send a paypal gift! ;)

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I think you nailed it! Very impressive! You are a bottle master...! Man I can't imagine finding the actual bottle still intact for something that size..The cork taper makes perfect sense! I'm impressed with hoe clean the bottom has sheared from the neck.. All of them are like that.. I will still buy you ice cream is you give me your email. I'll send a paypal gift! ;)

Thanks for the feedback, Bottleheadz. No other prize is required for the information.

jarhead67

Reaction score
Those would make nice candlestick holders over the fireplace mantle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu