Junior Member New Bottler

Red face Part of the blowing process??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180521_165204.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	183073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180521_165214.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	183074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180521_165235.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	183075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180521_165250.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	183076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180521_165316.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	183077

Okay I was digging in an area where there were many hundreds of melted hutch era bottles .. I'm most certain it was a site where these bottles were either made or somehow scrapped.. I have found many of these rings.. I'm thinking that they were used in the blowing process to maybe hold onto a bottle before it was placed into a mold?? Don't know.. Do these have a name? They have a slight conical hole that tapers toward the broken or cut side (maybe making it easier to pull off once used). The un-cut side is swirled some like as if the glass received some twisting from maybe a rod?? I'll buy ice cream to whomever can solve this!

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Those are the lips off carboys. The taper you describe sounds like the fitting for a cork. I have one similar, though I've never bothered to photograph it.

Name:	carboy.JPG 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	183078

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Pristis View Post
    Those are the lips off carboys. The taper you describe sounds like the fitting for a cork. I have one similar, though I've never bothered to photograph it.

I think you nailed it! Very impressive! You are a bottle master...! Man I can't imagine finding the actual bottle still intact for something that size..The cork taper makes perfect sense! I'm impressed with how clean the bottom has sheared from the neck.. All of them are like that.. I will still buy you ice cream is you give me your email. I'll send a paypal gift!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Pristis View Post

I think you nailed it! Very impressive! You are a bottle master...! Man I can't imagine finding the actual bottle still intact for something that size..The cork taper makes perfect sense! I'm impressed with hoe clean the bottom has sheared from the neck.. All of them are like that.. I will still buy you ice cream is you give me your email. I'll send a paypal gift!

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottleheadz View Post
    I think you nailed it! Very impressive! You are a bottle master...! Man I can't imagine finding the actual bottle still intact for something that size..The cork taper makes perfect sense! I'm impressed with hoe clean the bottom has sheared from the neck.. All of them are like that.. I will still buy you ice cream is you give me your email. I'll send a paypal gift!
    Thanks for the feedback, Bottleheadz. No other prize is required for the information.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Those would make nice candlestick holders over the fireplace mantle.