Digging my first Privy in Salt Lake City Utah this weekend + dumpsite

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jarhead67

Reaction score
Hey Utah. I'd refer you to him, my old digging "teacher" has long passed. I lived in Murray back in the early 1980's and cut my teeth digging privies up in the Avenues in Salt Lake. Dug my best lady's leg whisky from there and lost it over in San Francisco during the 1989 earthquake. We also used get some great finds in the the old Ogden dump. That might be where your friend is taking you. If he's from Ogden, he'd know where that dump is if it's still around. If I remember, it's out by the lake. Ground is good and soft and besides tons of early to TOC bottles, you'll find lots of pottery, jugs, clay marbles, porcelain doll parts, pipes and other extras, usually in very good to excellent shape. It was a great place to dig. Hopefully it isn't all paved over. The valley was unrecognizable when I drove through there a few years back. So many people now. I was young then and didn't pay much attention to all the places we went, just that I had my probe and shovel, but for sure the Avenues are where you'll find some of the nicer whiskies and medicines. Plenty of big old houses still not dug I'm sure. We usually found them 2 or 3 side by side along the back property lines and sometimes the adjacent property would have them back to back so once we got to digging, we could get permissions from the neighbors. Hope someone comes along that can get you in the ground.

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here's a Pic of the Salt Lake City Hutch I mentioned. Just found it tonight in a Box. Red Seal it's called. LEON. RedSealUtah.JPG

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi