Smiles Beverages acl bottle - Saint John New Brunswick

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
came across this bottle when looking thru some sold listings on ebay , I've never actually seen one in person and can't recall even hearing about it before . so I was sort of surprised to see it .

it sold for $ 126. US or $167 Canadian and had an opening bid of $19 , it appears 7 different users bid on the bottle , so it generated a lot of interest

the pictures posted by the seller aren't that good but give us an idea what the bottle looked like , 6.5 oz , beehive style acl/embossed bottle , which were somewhat common in parts of Canada , although I haven't seen many from the east coast before . acl is black and white , features a smiling lady and " saint john new Brunswick " along edges

back says " the crown tells the flavour , property of Smiles beverages , Saint John NB , please return promptly "

anyways never seen it before so wanted to share it with the site and see if anyone else has or knows more about it .

smilesbeverages-saintjohnNB.jpgsmilesbeverages-saintjohnNB1.jpgsmilesbeverages-saintjohnNb2.jpg

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Very-Rare-S...016202?hash=item3b0d1c1b0a:g:j20AAOSwadda-dFC

RCO

Reaction score

1936:
Working as a truck driver for Smiles Beverages in Saint John, until 1937.
1937: Working as a truck driver for Charles Gurd, in Saint John, until 1938.

https://www.oakworthvillage.com/tewitt-lane/norman-willard-crawford

( one of the few things I found online about the company was a post about a WW2 solider which indicated before the war he worked as a driver for Smiles Beverages in Saint John but only for 1 year in 1937 , but not sure if the bottle is that old , has more of a 40's look to it in my view

and considering they were operating in the 30's that also lead me to wonder if there is also an embossed bottle from the same bottler ? but never seen one

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi