Dated 1899 Majolica Glaze Bottle featuring double eage

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dhknola

Reaction score
Greetings! This is my first post here :)

The impetus for generating this post is the bottle I have enclosed photos of. I found this bottle a few years ago at a church sale for a few dollars and always thought it was pretty cool and like the date on the bottom. I have tried to research this bottle in the past and have stumbled on to nothing that gives me an idea as to what its original use was.

Thank you for looking and information is helpful :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 158
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 153
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 154
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 153

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
It is most similar to the Austrian coat of arms, missing the crowns and shield. I have a pre-1917 labeled whiskey with a similar double-eagle very much like the Austrian, except that the shield on its breast is German. So, that tells us that they didn't always make everything exact.
My guess is, a group of immigrants or people of Austrian heritage had a club and bought a lot of dies, and made the jugs, which they painted themselves.

dhknola

Reaction score
Thank you so much! That certainly seems plausible :)

CarltonHendricks

Reaction score
What are the dimensions?...Anyone have an opinion what it was used for?...was it used commercially?...for what product?...Spirit Bear sir...your speculation it was made by a club is interesting...sounds possible...what kind of club would make a bottle like this...I could see this made in rural Kentucky or something like that...The marking: LWRAC 1899 - P2119 seems to indicate some kind of production code...which would seems to indicate it wasn't a one of a kind...the fact there is marking seems to indicate a planned production of more than one...the art appears to be Euro/Austrian/German I agee...the dog, if that's a dog...seems to indicate a hunting theme...I would guess it was used for whiskey or some kind of liquor...It sure is good looking...and if it's American that would be a great piece of Americana...if only we knew more about it...still much mystery about this bottle...

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
It used to be popular here to paint/glaze your own pottery pieces. Our shop for it closed down in the early 2000s, but people would buy a vessel of clay and paint it. Some would take classes. Other times, groups would come and do it for commemorative pieces and other such things.
The 'dog' may be a Griffin.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora