Underwoods Inks bottle found swimming

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
I found this little Underwoods Ink bottle when swimming the other day , don't really know much about it and location where I found it has a wide age range in terms of the bottles I've found there so its difficult for me to say how old it is

really no markings on the bottle either other than " UNDERWOODS INKS ' embossed on the front , the bottle also has a lot of wear from being in the water so long and rubbing against the sand or rocks but its not chipped or broken

20180709_183631.jpgP7110002.jpgP7110001.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a nice one, quite a bit older than your typical swimming finds. Probably dates from around 1890 to 1920 or so.

RCO

Reaction score
That's a nice one, quite a bit older than your typical swimming finds. Probably dates from around 1890 to 1920 or so.

I've found a lot of different things at that location over the years , have found older bottles there , like broken a coca cola straight side . always hoped to find a local druggist bottle there but never found one yet , it seemed like a good place as I had found so many other bottles there

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah if you're finding things from that era a local druggist is certainly within the realm of possibility. An ink bottle in the water suggests it was a dump rather than simply somewhere that people tossed their bottles after drinking the contents. Any idea what was in this location in the past?

RCO

Reaction score
I found a local history book which talks about this lake in great detail , might have to flip thru it to figure out exactly what was there but

my understanding was there was another set of docks to the left of the ones pictured , there was also some sort of business located there at some point a restaurant I seem to recall but its been gone for a very long time . there was also wooden boat houses in the area as well but there gone

a train station and downtown are also a short walking distance away from this park

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Interesting find for a lake, an ink bottle. I'd expect sodas or beers or spirit bottles. maybe found it's way into some fill?

Jim G

historic-antiques

Reaction score
Looks like a beautiful, inspiring place for a writer, long time ago, to pursue his/her craft!! Nice find!!

KSESTATE

Reaction score
I seem to remember reading that this company became the Underwood typewriter Co. May have been to ink a ribbon or two in a business environment very possible.
Nice bottle

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi