Barney Google / Spark Plug Sodas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle-bud

Reaction score
I would like to share what appears to be some serious competition between two local St. Louis, Missouri soda bottling companies in the mid 1920's'
Barney Google was bottled by Barney Google Bottling Co. (aka J.M. Dupiech Bottling Co.)
Spark Plug was bottled by the National Bottling Co. Both bottles are very similar in appearance.

P1020308.jpg P1020309.jpg

Both companies had very similar ads, I added the bottles, they were not part of the ads.

barney ad.jpg P1020310.jpg P1020311.jpg Capture.jpg

I had an acl Barney Google years ago and traded it for something. I didn't realize at the time it had a St. louis connection. J.M.D. was on the bottom of the bottle and at the time I did not know what the initials stood for. I would like to find another. I have a picture of it though!

364812-071518.jpg

Barney Google and Spark Plug were quite popular in the 1920's

Barney Spark Plug.jpg

They had a recording about them. I assume

Capture.jpg

Toys

game.jpg

At one time I had quite a few of the embossed Barneys, but traded or sold all but one. They are harder to find these days.
The spark plug I would consider quite hard to find.

Would love to get that acl version back. alas.

historic-antiques

Reaction score
Nice bottles!! Part of our dietary, culinary history and traditions! But I thought the word "Google" was a recent invention, contrived for the search engine......

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
A "google" is the name of a number, like pi, that is a one with 100 zeroes after it. Aristotle probably pondered it. :)

bottle-bud

Reaction score
Google in this case refers to Barney's eyes. Google or jiggly eyes that bounce around when he moves!
McGlass, google just came up in a crossword puzzle, I did not know that a one with a hundred zeroes after it was a google. Too bad your reply wasn't a day or so sooner I would have felt a bit smarter doing the puzzle LOL

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi