84 Year old Gin bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

John6

Reaction score
Paul Jones Gin bottle still sealed. Bottled in 1934. Has tax stamp. Never opened. Evaporation thorough the cork has allowed some of the gin to escape. Scotch tap around neck was there when found 40 years ago in Aunts house. Must have been done to keep paper seals in tact. Please look at attached photos. What is it worth and where can I sell it?

IMG_1404.jpgIMG_1405.jpgIMG_1407.jpgIMG_1409.jpgIMG_1411.jpgIMG_1412.jpgIMG_1413.jpgIMG_1418.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Can't sell it on ebay as they don't allow the sale of Alcohol. Unless you want to empty it. I don't think it would be worth much. Maybe $5-$10 but those bottles are not my specialty. Good Luck. LEON.

John6

Reaction score
Help

I have searched all over the Internet for Paul Jones amber Gin bottles and can find nothing. All the bottles are Whiskey bottles. Believe this one must be quite rare. Hopefully someone can give me some insight as to what I have.

hemihampton

Reaction score
yes, so do I. Lots of people in here know more then me. Unfortunately most people in here seem to prefer bottles pre 1930 & some pre 1900's. LEON.

sunrunner

Reaction score
this bottle was filled before prohibition ended . you can tell that by the bottle . it do's not have the federal law message embossed on it . it most likely was soled for medical use.

John6

Reaction score
Thank you Sunrunner for that information. Since it does have a tax stamp on the neck, maybe it was bottled in an old bottle. The neck label says it was bottled in the spring of 1934 and distilled in the fall of 1917.

hemihampton

Reaction score
What year did they pass that Federal Law Message embossed onto the bottle? LEON.

jmv

Reaction score
This bottle is quite interesting as a prohibition relic. It was made in the years leading up to Prohibition, indicated by the Fall 1917 date. That is when it would have been ‘produced’. Gin doesn’t take nearly as long as whiskey to distill, so I wonder if it was interrupted by the onset of prohibition in 1921. Perhaps it would have been anticipated for market by 1921, but maybe there was not enough opportunity to bring it to market at that time, so it was stored long term.

I don’t know enough about the various ways of producing gin, but it may have been aged long-term in casks rather like whiskey. The fact that it is bottled at 100 proof might provide further explanation. It was then bottled in 1934, when prohibition was repealed and the market was free and clear to resume production. It uses a small medicinal style bottle, which was probably still plentiful at the distillery at the time, since the Frankfort distillery specialized in medicinal liquor. It was also still the middle of the Depression, and a smaller bottle would be easier to sell.

I’m not a huge gin collector, but I’m sure there would be someone interested in this Prohibition era gin. Certainly don’t open it until you shop it around to a few sources, like maybe an online whiskey auction house? I can’t say it will be terribly valuable, but likely someone will appreciate adding it to their collection, for the decor.

It’s also worth looking up the Frankfort distillery here at pre-pro.com

http://www.pre-pro.com/midacore/view_vendor.php?vid=FFT15433

Paul Jones as a brand name was later taken over by Seagram’s, but the name has receded to history somewhat. The Four Roses brand remains Paul Jones’ lasting legacy today. They’ve actually got a website that accepts fan photos from their past; maybe see if they would add a Paul Jones Gin to the page?

https://fourrosesbourbon.com/130th

John6

Reaction score
Thanks jmv. I had found the "pre-pro" site but not the other. Will contact some auction houses to see what they think. Thanks again.
John6

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum