1933 Canadian Whisky or Gin?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jmv

Reaction score
I received this bottle from a local digger as a gift, and it’s quite attractive. I don’t recall if I’ve ever seen this design advertised, and am wondering if anyone recognizes it.

It has Rd. [Registered] 1933 marked on the bottom, with a C in an inverted triangle (Consumers Glass Co, Ville St. Pierre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada).

The label would have likely been a curious geometric shape to fit on the front of the bottle. I did a quick search of the labels here and nothing seemed to stand out.

http://www.bottlebooks.com/american medicinal spirits company/canadian_whiskey_trademarks.htm

The two main distilleries in Vancouver are usually marked either UDL Vancouver or BC Distillery, New Westminster. Thus, I suspect it comes from one of the east coast distilleries, possibly something like Corby‘s or Consolidated Distilleries?

Anyone seen this one before?

https://instagram.com/p/BlhMgIGFL2f/

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
I've seen liquor bottles in that shape and size before but not this exact bottle , the 1933 date might just be for trademark purposes , so could of been sold in the 40's or 50's

jmv

Reaction score
Yes, that’s possible. But I expect it probably did come out in 1933 as well. I should add here I did find mention of a ‘Golden Arrow’ whisky registered by Consolidated Distilleries, Montreal in 1933. No known labels surfaced, but it would fit the look of the bottle. Consolidated is a strong candidate, as they are also from Quebec, as is Consumer’s Glass. But it could easily be an Ontario distiller.

jmv

Reaction score
14163CBF-E149-4CC3-9475-62E617095D91.jpegD70C9332-9D7D-4E11-ACC8-5C2F69E585DA.jpeg

jmv

Reaction score
Above are a couple pages from the booklet ‘Gunga Gin, The Cocktail Connoisseur’ by Consolidated Distilleries in 1936, featuring Corby’s. The Wiser bottles have a ‘similar’ aesthetic, although not a definite resemblance. BTW, this booklet is listed online for top $, if you ever come across a copy! Here’s the link to a copy in Nova Scotia:

http://www.theoddbook.ca/product/6889/Gunga-Gin-The-Cocktail-Connoisseur-

jmv

Reaction score
Success! I finally found it! At least, an ad from the newspaper. It's Burnett's London Dry Gin, by Consolidated Distillers Ltd of Montreal. I thought that was a likely answer! Here are some of the ads:

First, from The Montreal Gazette, June 12, 1936:

The_Gazette_Fri__Jun_12__1936_.jpg

Next, from The Chilliwack Progress Wednesday, June 18, 1941:

The_Chilliwack_Progress_Wed__Jun_18__1941_.jpg

And again from The Gazette Wednesday, July 16, 1941, this time showing a slightly different design in the bottle. Meaning the bottle changed from the original 1933 design to an updated design.

The_Gazette_Wed__Jul_16__1941_.jpg

Here's one more from the Surrey Leader Thursday, December 27, 1951. So the followup design was around for at least a decade, but for how much longer I'm not sure.

Surrey_Leader_Thu__Dec_27__1951_.jpg

Well, nice to know I found the answer eventually!

Cheers!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi