Codd Bottle No Embossing - Age or Origin?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

djanz

Reaction score
6 sided base, applied top, thick glass, Aqua color, no embossing that I can see with my magnifying glass other than the imprint on bottom. I'm curious if this is old or repro and possible origin? The estate sale I bought it from also sold many rare glass insulators but this was the only bottle I saw.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
Sure has all the looks of an oldie, but I really don't know.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm thinking it's likely modern and from India. They still use some ancient-looking Codd bottles there for a drink called Banta, even though they aren't very old at all, they're just still made in the traditional way. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Soft_drink_stand,_Rishikesh.jpg The real old ones are usually embossed but the modern ones often aren't. It's not a repro per se since this is a real bottle that was used to hold real drinks and not to pretend to be an antique, but I really doubt it's very old at all.

sandchip

Reaction score
True that, but what throws me off is some very legitimate looking wear in all the right places.

TROG

Reaction score
Definitely an Indian made Codd bottle but quite likely made after Independence( C 1950 ) from recycled glass and as mentioned these bottles are still being used today in parts of India

Last edited:

sandchip

Reaction score
If they're still using and refilling them, that would explain all the correct wear, scrapes and dings. Thanks for lesson, Trog and Canada.

sunrunner

Reaction score
if you look close, you can see it's a Simi machine made bottle.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora