I may have found a new dump location that could go back to the very early 1800s!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
I have been looking at a very old farm property for over a year and I think I finally may have pinpointed a dump on it. The farmhouse was built in 1732 and it was a farm until the 1960s. On the old aerial images from the 1930s there were paths leading from the farmhouse into the woods. In the 1950s aerials the paths were mostly gone (brush growing in). So if only the 1930s paths were leading to a dump, it must be older than 1950s. I took a further look by going into the gis map and I saw that the end of the path in the 1930s lined up with a gap in a rock wall in front of a steep hill into a swampy area close to the bottom. It would make sense for this to be a dump. I have tried every other place that would make sense for a dump on this property and I have come up with nothing.

I hope this is going to be an old 1800s dump (fingers crossed). I am planning on going out hopefully tommorow or the next day to see if I am correct.

Truth1253

Reaction score
I wish you much luck my friend I am getting very interested in hunting bottles. I’m detecting a 1820’s house hoping I can find the privy and if I do will the owner let me dig like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I'm glad that you've figured out the wonders of old aerial images. They were very popular from the 1870s-1980s, yet everyone forgets to look and see if an old farm has any. They use Google Maps today, but Google cannot show the last century. Good luck.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The real-photo aerials by plane can only go back to WW1 (except in rare cases), but engravings were made by skilled artists far back: even centuries ago. As for the accuracy of these pre-photo aerials....

sunrunner

Reaction score
property dumps are not that hard to find . unfortunately you'll find in most cassis some one got there before you.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
property dumps are not that hard to find . unfortunately you'll find in most cassis some one got there before you.

I still need to make sure it is actually in that location before I worry about it being dug or not. If I go tommorrow, I will write a post about my exploration. There is a chance it may not be in that location, but I don't see any other place making more sense on the property.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora