Member New Bottler

Question about trash pit

Hereís a site Iíve been detecting lately from the 1820ís. The privy to the original house (main house in front)seems to be covered by a cement slab where they made a back extinction and it covers the privy with a bathroom. The owner seems to believe thatís the case. But the second house built in 1900 (seen in the back) has a dump sight by the river across the street in the woods. Iíve read that wear the would usually dup. My question is is it worth digging out. On the surface Iím seeing 60ís 70ís bottles and trash. Do you think that thereís so early bottles under there? Pic of the dump site. Should I bring a iron rake and take of the top layer? First time bottle hunting and Iím green green. Thank you
    Here the aerial view of the 2nd house. Red is the road, blue is the trash pit and yellow is the river, which is really swampland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Truth1253; 08-12-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Yeah there's a good chance there are older layers underneath. It's the most obvious place to dump things so I doubt they only started in the 60s. I don't think a rake would be very useful in that environment, personally I'd bring a shovel and some heavy gloves and pick a spot and see how deep it goes. The oldest stuff will likely be at the bottom of the hill.

Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar
    I would also bring the rake if easily carried in. It'll help you scrape off the top layer, that you might dig without shattering much glass.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    In my opinion if it looks like 60'70's stuff on top then I doubt you find much for old bottles. BUT, For me I'd be hoping to maybe find some 1930's-40's & 50's Beer Cans. which sometimes can be worth more then any bottles from same time frame. Milks & ACL Soda's may be nice to find in these years also. I'd both rake with a 3 or 4 prong or 12 prong rake & shovel if it gets deeper. Good luck. LEON.

I think it is definitely worth digging some various test pits to determine what is down there. I would start out with a good shovel then if you like what you are seeing break out a 3 prong rake and gloves. Their trash pit shouldn't be very far from the house. Good luck and stay hydrated!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Member New Bottler
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    Yeah there's a good chance there are older layers underneath. It's the most obvious place to dump things so I doubt they only started in the 60s. I don't think a rake would be very useful in that environment, personally I'd bring a shovel and some heavy gloves and pick a spot and see how deep it goes. The oldest stuff will likely be at the bottom of the hill.
    Gotcha good tip for starting at the bottom of the hill. I bought the rake to rake all that top layer of trash. Youíre saying just pick a spot and start digging.

Member New Bottler
    Quote Originally Posted by adam.w.brymer View Post
    I think it is definitely worth digging some various test pits to determine what is down there. I would start out with a good shovel then if you like what you are seeing break out a 3 prong rake and gloves. Their trash pit shouldn't be very far from the house. Good luck and stay hydrated!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    You ainít lying there Adam this humidity can take down a horse. Itís so so thick.

Member New Bottler
    Quote Originally Posted by hemihampton View Post
    In my opinion if it looks like 60'70's stuff on top then I doubt you find much for old bottles. BUT, For me I'd be hoping to maybe find some 1930's-40's & 50's Beer Cans. which sometimes can be worth more then any bottles from same time frame. Milks & ACL Soda's may be nice to find in these years also. I'd both rake with a 3 or 4 prong or 12 prong rake & shovel if it gets deeper. Good luck. LEON.
    Thereís plenty of Dixie beer cans, old brown Clorox jugs, but I did see a ginger beer bottle that was just chipped a the top.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    the only way to find out whats there is to dig , it does look like a newer dump but its possible older dumps are located nearby or under the new stuff .

sites like these annoy me , I'd likely spend hours cleaning it up even if I wasn't finding anything good , glass this age you can still take to glass recycling in most areas and they will dispose of it for free

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Are the Dixies pull tabs or older flat tops that needed a can opener to open. If you find Dixie cone tops you found something good. Curious, let me know. LEON.