Applied color labels (acl) - hand painted labels & machines

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Based on what I'm learning about U.S. Patents, especially those involving machines, it appears to me that in order to "File" a Patent the inventor would first have to build a working prototype of the machine. How else would he know if it even worked? Not to mention the text description that goes into detail as to how each gear, sprocket, and what-you-may-call-it works. In other words, a Patent for a machine that was "Filed" in 1933 could very easily (and likely) have taken a year or more to build and test. After that it was the Patent Office's task to make sure that the Patent didn't infringe on some other patent - hence the time it took before the Patent Office would "Grant" the Patent to the inventor. Thus, a Patent filed in 1933 could very well have resulted from a design that was begun in 1932 or earlier. Just because the "Granted" dates came later doesn't mean that companies like Owens-Illinois weren't using those machines in their factories prior to them being legally granted.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
In Search of ...

A silkscreen actually used for a soda bottle label (or any bottle) ...

Based on their size (Appx. 30 inches long) the silkscreens pictured here were for Coolers and Signs and not bottles. I have done an exhaustive search and cannot find a single example of a silkscreen intended for bottles of any type. Apparently they were extremely fragile and once used were not saved. If you know of or find one, please post it. The examples shown here are the only ones I could find of any type.

Royal Crown Cola

View attachment 184717

View attachment 184718

Frostie Root Beer (Notice the can for scale/size)

View attachment 184719

View attachment 184720

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Another Contest ...

I will send a free ACL book to the first member who post a picture of an actual Soda Bottle silkscreen. Silkscreens for Coolers, Signs, Etc; do not qualify. This particular contest ends on October 31st (Halloween) 2018. The so called "Proofs" shown below are not actual silkscreens and do not qualify.

Regarding the "Pyroglaze" contest, bottle-bud is the current leader with his December 30, 1933 newspaper article. If no earlier example is found by this coming Sunday, September 30, 2018, then bottle-bud will be the winner and receive a free ACL book.

Note: The shipping of any book is free only in the continental United States. If a winning member lives in a foreign country they will have to pay the shipping themselves. Thanks for understanding.

Silkscreen Proof Dad's from Chris Weides 1-15-11 (2).jpg

Silkscreen Proofs.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
This doesn't qualify as a winner because its a "jar" silkscreen and not a soda bottle silkscreen. But I thought I'd share it anyway to give us some idea what a soda bottle silkscreen might look like. Besides, I can't give myself a free ACL book because I already have about ten of them. (Like new 2002 editions - available for sale @ $45.00 per).

[ Star-Tribune Minneapolis, Minnesota January 10, 1949 ]

Silkscreen Star Tribune Minn, Minn Jan 10, 1949 (3).jpg

Silkscreen Star Tribune Minn, Minn Jan 10, 1949 (4).jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Not a silkscreen but a cool Dad's Item. LEON.P1010200.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
hemi

Nice can. It ties in with the Dad's "proof." Speaking of which, the blob in the upper-left corner of the proof is the top of one of the family member's head - I believe its "Mama's" head/hair, but I haven't been able to find a label exactly like the one shown on the proof. ???

SODABOB

Reaction score
In Search of ...

The actual magazine/periodical that the image below came from. Its supposed to be from ...

"The Glass Packer" ~ February 1933

Here's the text/caption that's supposed to be with the article ...

"
The enamel is baked or fused into the glass and, becoming an integral part of the container, will not rub or scratch off; nor is it in the least affected by water or chemicals. The enamel may be applied in any color, and it retains its luster during the entire life of the bottle."

The name on the bottles is ...

Mandel's Pharmacy ~ Chicago, Illinois ~ Plus a phone number

If the article is genuine, and the bottles were actually made, then they are the earliest ACLs I am currently aware of. The bottles were supposedly made by Brockway Glass ~ Brockway, Pennsylvania

BROCKWAY ARTICLE 1933 (879x1200).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's a 1942 issue ~ I can't find a 1933 ...

Glass Packer January 1942.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I haven't found a 1933 Glass Packer magazine or one of the bottles, but I was able to confirm there was a ...

Mandel Drug Store
6161 Kedzie Avenue
Chicago, Illinois

(Now all I need is to find one of their 1933 ACL "Monogram" bottles and I'll be in like Flint)

[ Chicago Tribune ~ September 22, 1933 ]

Mandel Drug Store Chicago Tribune Sep 22, 1933 (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
​If ...

Here's where I found the 1933 Glass Packer magazine reference and the Mandel's Pharmacy bottles picture. The link goes directly to the pdf download. Notice on page four where it says ...

https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/Brockway.pdf

"This was the first use of what would become widely known to bottle collectors on soda bottles as the Applied Color Lettering (ACL) process (actually the name used by the Owens-Illinois Glass Co.) and on milk bottles as pyroglazing (the term used by the Thacher Mfg. Co.). The article noted that the process was only being offered initially for prescription ware, but the firm intended to add food bottles and perfume containers. What the article did not say was that 1933 technology was incapable of applying the enamel to curved surfaces. Its use on one curve (e.g., on cylindrical bottles) was perfected the next year, when it was used on soda and milk bottles."

If I understand it correctly, its saying the Brockway Glass Company was the "first" glass maker to produce an ACL bottle. If so, and if the picture of the Mandel bottles is actually in the 1933 issue of the Glass Packer magazine, then that's pretty strong evidence of the existence of a 1933 ACL. And because the picture is of actual bottles and not just a drawing, then I'm inclined to believe those bottles were actually produced and possibly still exist somewhere. Even though I haven't been able to find one yet, I plan to continue the search and hopefully find one someday - and if I can't find a bottle, maybe I/we can find a copy of the 1933 Glass Packer magazine and see if the article is actually in it.

Check out this article about the "Mandel Brothers" 100th anniversary in Chicago ( "Since" 1855" ). The Mandel Brothers and Mandel Pharmacy/Drug Store were one and the same, only different locations at different times ...

[ The Chicago Tribune ~ October 8, 1933 ]

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Oct_8__1933_ (2).jpg

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Oct_8__1933_ (3).jpg

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Oct_8__1933_ (4).jpg

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Oct_8__1933_ (5).jpg

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Oct_8__1933_.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member