Applied color labels (acl) - hand painted labels & machines

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Summary ...

Earliest (Unconfirmed) ACL Pharmaceutical Bottle ~ Brockway Glass Company ~ February 1933

BROCKWAY ARTICLE 1933 (879x1200).jpg

Earliest (Unconfirmed) Pyroglaze Milk Bottles ~ Thatcher Manufacturing Company ~ December 1933

Star_Gazette_Sat__Dec_30__1933_ (1).jpg

Earliest (Confirmed) ACL Soda Bottle ~ Jumbo A Super Cola ~ Owens-Illinois Glass Company ~ 1934

Jumbo acl - earliest confirmed painted label soda bottle (2).jpg

(To be continued)

hemihampton

Reaction score
Interesting. Keep up the good work Bob. LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Leon

Thanks -

I just wish I could find one of those Brockway bottles or a copy of the Glass Packer magazine. The first bottles might have been experimental/introductory, but because they thought enough of them to put in a Trade periodical, there's a good chance there are some survivors somewhere. If someone who reads this lives in or near Chicago, maybe they can look into it.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
For Future Reference ...

This Brockway bottle isn't an ACL, but I selected it as a possible clue as to what to look for regarding the base marks. The seller claims it was produced between 1924 and 1934, but I'm not sure how he reached that conclusion. Based on what I've read about Brockway marks, no one seems to know for certain just exactly how to decipher them. Apparently it has something to do with ...

1. The "B" in a circle

2. The "B" itself and that some of them have "Serifs" which refers to the overhanging/extended part of the "B" something like this ...

B

( Notice the "B" in the attached pic.)

I'm not certain, but I don't think the 29 is for 1929, but I suppose it could be. My guess is that the 1229 is a style/mold number. Anyhoo, perhaps with more searching we'll eventually find one of the so-called 1933 "Monogram" bottles ...

Link to bottle ...

https://www.etsy.com/hk-en/listing/...ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=brockway

Brockway Bottle Front.jpg

I selected this bottle mainly because of the base marks and the seller's claim about it being produced between 1924 and 1934

Brockway Bottle Base.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
NEWS FLASH ...

I just exchanged emails with several members of the BRG / sha.org and they confirmed the existence of the 1933 Glass Packer article about Brockway Glass. They no longer have the actual copy because the member who had it apparently had a stroke and is no longer available for comment. Member Bill Lockhart said the Brockway bottles in the article are the absolute earliest ACL/Pyro bottles he is aware of. Carol Serr sent me this link where copies of the magazine are located - all in New York. If anyone who reads this lives in or near New York City, please look into it one of these days and let us know what you find - Thanks

Library Location Link ...

http://www.worldcat.org/title/glass-packer/oclc/14178277/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true

(The search continues for one of the bottles itself)

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I did a thorough search for a "Mandel's Pharmacy" ACL Prescription Ware bottle from Chicago but cannot find one anywhere and starting to suspect they were never mass produced for that particular drug store. However, I did find and just purchased this "Carl's Drug Store" ACL/Paper Label bottle - Greencastle, Pennsylvania. Greencastle is about 150 miles south of Brockway, Pennsylvania where the Brockway Glass Company was located. The seller's description did not say anything about who made the bottle, nor when, but I'm betting it was made by Brockway Glass. I'll let you know what the base marks are after I receive the bottle in about a week. I'm crossing my fingers that its a 1933 bottle. ???

Note: The bottle I inserted into the 1933 Glass Packer article is not the one I purchased. I just did that to show the similarity to the Mandel's bottle. I found that one after I purchased the ACL/paper label bottle. But having already found two examples of the Carl's bottle, that's a good indication they might have been mass produced. The word "Offer" in the title refers to the fact that I made a lower offer to the seller, which they accepted.

BROCKWAY ARTICLE 1933 (879x1200) (3).jpg

BROCKWAY ARTICLE 1933 (879x1200) (4).jpg

Here's the one I purchased ...

Carl's Drug Store Bottle Offer Paper Label.jpg

Carl's Drug Store Bottle Offer.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water ...

( But no date or other info and not for sale )

ACL Med Carl's Drug Store Prescription Pharmacy Greencastle, Pa. Round.jpg

Notice the ACL label is the same style as that on the prescription bottle - except this one is blue and the other one is white. I guess that qualifies them as true Applied Color Label bottles ...

ACL Med Carl's Drug Store Prescription Pharmacy Greencastle, Pa. Round Label.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
According to USPS Tracking, my Carl's ACL bottle is supposed to arrive today. I'm still crossing my fingers that its a 1933 bottle. If it is, it will be the earliest ACL bottle I'm aware of. If not, then ...

(To be continued )

Crossed Fingers -  times seven.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu