Applied color labels (acl) - hand painted labels & machines

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
iggy/Rich

Thanks

The bottle arrived and I'm currently photographing it. I've also contacted Bill Lockhard and Carol Serr (BRG / sha.org) who are assisting me in trying to date it. I'll tell you what we come up with later.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's the pics I took. As you can see, the bottle is super small. I took numerous pics, but these are the best of the lot ...

Its marked on the base with a ...

K in a Keystone with the number 5

Its a "Knox Glass Bottle Company" bottle - who I am not all that familiar with. I'm still waiting to hear from Bill Lockart who I sent the same pics to. All I know at the moment is that it dates sometime between 1924 and 1968. I'm hoping Bill can narrow it down for me a little more.

This link is to a pdf file that Bill and Carol participated in about ten years regarding the Knox Glass Bottle Company and its bottle marks. Check it out. I'll let you know what Bill and Carol have to say later on. By the way, there was still a little Anise oil in the bottle, and now my whole place smells like it. But, actually, its kind of a cool fragrance and smells something like vanilla/cinnamon.

https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/Knox2_BRG.pdf

Carl's ACL Front.jpg

Carl's ACL Back Paper Label.jpg

This is a 3 1/2 on the shoulder which I measured with water and is .5 or 1/2 Ounce

Carl's ACL Front with 3 and one-half on shoulder.jpg

The base with K in a Keystone and the number 5

Carl's ACL Base with K in Keystone and the number 5.jpg

I'll be back!

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I just heard from Bill Lockhart. Here's his copy/pasted comments ...

"Unfortunately, Knox never used date codes, so there is no way to reduce the date range for its products. Unless bottle style can somehow be deciphered, there is not even a way to tell if a bottle was made at the Knox, Pennsylvania, plant (before 1952) or if it was made at any one of the factories after that date. I'm afraid this is another dead end."

And here's the copy/pasted reply I sent to him and Carol Serr ...

Thanks, Bill and Carol

"I was afraid of that. I'm going to do some additional research (primarily by newspaper articles/ads) on Carl's Drug Store and see if I can find something there. There are hundreds of Carl's articles - I just need to find the right one that might say something about them using an ACL bottle. If that occurred years ago, it might have been such a big deal that they might have advertised it. I'll let you guys know if/when I find anything pertinent."

Thanks again for all your help

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
There's still hope for my Carl's bottle being an early ACL. Lookie what I just found ...

[ The News-Herald ~ Franklin, Pa. ~ August 27, 1935 ]

Knox The News Herald Franklin, Pa August 27, 1935 (2).jpg

[Article cropped for easy reading ]

Knox The News Herald Franklin, Pa August 27, 1935 (3).jpg

[ Notice ~ "Perma lettered" and experimented "Four Years" ~ 1935 - 4 = 1931 ]

Knox The News Herald Franklin, Pa August 27, 1935 (4).jpg

Knox The News Herald Franklin, Pa August 27, 1935.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
More/Better Good News for Knox Prescription Ware "Decorated" Bottles

[ The Clarion Democrat ~ Clarion, Pennsylvania ~ January 26, 1633 ]

[ Full Page ]

Knox The Clarion Democrat Pa Jan 26, 1933 (1).jpg

[ Cropped from upper-left corner of page ]

Knox The Clarion Democrat Pa Jan 26, 1933 (2).jpg

[ Cropped from lower-left portion of page ]

Knox The Clarion Democrat Pa Jan 26, 1933 (3).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
More ...

[ The Kane Republic ~ Kane, Pennsylvania ~ February 23, 1933 ]

[ Full Page ]

Knox The Kane Republic PA Feb 23, 1933 (1).jpg

[ Cropped Portion ]

Knox The Kane Republic PA Feb 23, 1933 (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

The January 26, 1933 Knox article is slightly earlier than the February 1933 Glass Packer magazine article about the Brockway Glass Company ACL bottles. Hence, the January 26, 1933 Knox article is the earliest reference to painted label / decorated bottles that I am currently aware of.

View attachment 184856

SODABOB

Reaction score
I apologize for being AWOL - but I got sidetracked on a new project that is demanding most of my attention (which I don't have as much of these days as I used to). Anyway, when I return I hope to continue this discussion - and might even have a few surprises in store. So please don't give up on me and stay tuned for ... ???

Bob

P.S.

Contest #2 is still ongoing for the first member who finds a soda bottle silkscreen. The contest ends at midnight on Halloween. And in case you didn't already know, bottle-bud has received his ACL book for winning the first contest.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown