Puzzling Hutchinson

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Screwtop

Reaction score
A few years ago, I saw my first Hutchinson soda bottle. It was this one, only $5 at the time. It is mostly unmarked, save the makers mark and bottom stamp. The makers mark reads M. B. & G. Co. 33. (Massilon Bottle and Glass Company 1900-1904). The other mark reads "THE LIQUID". The bottle appears to have a slug plate at the front. Any ideas?

DSC_1068.jpgDSC_1058.jpgDSC_1059.jpg

Last edited:

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Screwtop.
I was trying to post a link but I'm having trouble. Try going to the search tool at the top. Search for the term liquid then add the author Iggyworf. he found a similar bottle. Apparently, an Jndiana company marked all types of bottling apparatus. I personally have found hutchinson stoppers that had the term liquid written right on them.

Cool bottle. It likely had a paper label that described the contents. I call these hutches blanks. In my experience, anyway, they are harder to find than embossed examples.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
That search didn't work that well. Try to search for "hutchinson?" with the question mark. Then scroll down to the post by Iggyworf.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I have at least 2 or 3 different Michigan Hutch's with the same Bottle makers mark & the Liquid on bottom. Which can be seen in Ron Fowler's HUTCHBOOK.COM Hutch Website under Michigan Hutch's. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Not really normal but i have found some like that on a couple of occasions. LEON.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The slug plate mark with no embossing is because it was assumed that anyone ordering them would want the embossing to protect their fairly expensive bottles so a fully smooth mold wasn't made. Still, it was possible to order them without embossing, as ill-advised as that may have been, and some particularly cheap companies did do it. I've got a couple with base embossing only, but mine are an earlier 1880s design which I suspect was used by companies that didn't have any competitors using the bottles at that time to worry about.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp