Dug this mourning

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
Hey Rat, here are a few obvious examples of applied tops.

top.jpg top1.jpg

top2.jpg top3.jpg

Some aren't quite as obvious, but in these two examples, you can see in the top where the neck was separated from the blowpipe.

top4.jpg top5.jpg

Some early tops are tooled, not in the sense of having been blown in a full height blowback mold where the top is actually part of the mold and tooled after removal from the mold and separation from the blowpipe, but where the bottle is separated from the blowpipe, then tooled by flaring in this case, or in others, rolled inwardly or outwardly.

C&C4.jpg

Hope this helps, and I'm glad you've joined us and I enjoy seeing your enthusiasm as a new collector.

Warf rat

Reaction score
Thanks Sandchip glad I found this fourm so I can get answers. Those bottles of yours are super. Don't suppose I will ever dig one of those. Good day. O thanks for the pictures very helpful.

Last edited:

sandchip

Reaction score
You're very welcome. The odds are a little less favorable on digging the earlier pieces in Kansas, but you never know. Hope springs eternal!

willong

Reaction score
A Great Resource -- find many of your questioned answered here.

Is a tooled neck and applied top the same thing?

Warf rat,

I'm surprised no one has referred you to this site already; but if you are really eager to learn about identifying antique bottles chronologically, then you will be hard pressed to find a better resource.

Go to https://sha.org/bottle/index.htm and start studying! You can also buy a 555-page book, but the information is all online and searchable.

https://sha.org/bottle/index.htm

Warf rat

Reaction score
I found that site some time ago. That's a lot of reading and well... I studied it some. But for me it's just easer to find someone and ask questions. I'll just be a pest on this site. Thanks, Willong

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora