Barnyard find!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Raypadua

Reaction score
With the help of David Whitten from Glass Bottle marks it looks like the green bottle is likely from the 1870's and European. Just some educated guessing from him but good for now until we here otherwise :) He said to throw it out to the good folks on this website and I said that I did! He thought there was a pontil mark (sand or iron) from the additional pic's I sent and the fact that I could see a circular mark at the indentation point of the base and could feel a roughness as well.

Raypadua

Reaction score
Green Bottle Applied Finish Pointil Scar.jpgGreen Bottle Applied Finish Pontil Scar (2).jpg

A couple more pic's of the base hoping it shows the pontil scar a little better.

Raypadua

Reaction score
A few more cleaned bottles from the boxes:

Amber "Dandy" whisky flask (at least that's what I think it is!) c 1910 - 1930's?

Amber Dandy.jpgAmber Dandy Base marked 40.jpgAmber Dandy Finish.jpgAmber Dandy Bore View.jpg

John Lumb & Co

John Lumb and Co, glass bottle manufacturers, of Castleford (Castleford is a town in the metropolitan borough of Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England)
c1909-c1970
The bottle appears to be machine made with a seam line goingfrom the base to the top of the finish (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] J L & Co.Pic). Until I saw the seam line through the finish I thought it may havebeen an applied top as the finish was quite sloppy. A friend of mine said he would say the JL&Co bottle is an earlymachine-made version, likely 1910s-1920s. Many of the earlymachine-made bottles from Great Britain can look pretty crude!!

John Lumb and Co. (J L & Co) embossed base.jpgJohn Lumb and Co. (J L & Co) Finish.jpg

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Bottle with an applied finish:

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Bottle.jpgLea & Perrins Applied Finish.jpg

Does anyone have extra lids for the Eno, Lea & Perrins and Garton's HP bottles kicking around :)

Last edited:

Raypadua

Reaction score
I met a local guy who just gave me the Eno’s stopper! He also had lots of other great bottles. Added some wonderful WINNIPEG bottles to my relatively new and quickly growing collection...Great guy!!!

ED470574-DC27-4D01-84A4-11978524489E.jpg

Sorry for this this pic being upside down!

L-R:

The Gordon Mitchell Drug Co. Winnipeg, Man.

Blackwoods Beverages Hutchinson bottle

Grant’s Brewery Bottle (in operation from 1950-57) - Tip Top Lager

Kiewel’s Brewery - white Seal Beer

Phipp’s Brewers Northhampton (not Winnipeg)

Great Kijiji connection!

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
You got some nice stuff there! I really like those Winnipeg bottles with the absurdly long "Not to be sold" message. Not sure why they were used there and nowhere else. At first I thought the Phipp's was a Manitoba bottle and got really excited, that would be a great one if it was Canadian. Internal thread stopper bottles like that were used in Canada but I don't think I've ever seen one from Manitoba.

Raypadua

Reaction score
Yes, those wordy bottles are fun! There are a few variants in the wording as well which helps to keep you searching! I have come across a few internal threaded stopper bottles so far here in the 'Peg but all have been European.

I was really happy to get the Hutchinson Bottle and didn't realize until later that the Grant's bottle was only around for a short time so likely even more rare even though it was from the 50's!

RCO

Reaction score
I've seen some of those blackwoods Winnipeg bottles before , maybe not the hutcheson's but some of the other ones they used . they are interesting bottles to look at , as they have so much writing on them

mctaggart67

Reaction score
There's definitely some digging going on in Winnipeg. Was there this summer and noticed that antique stores and malls had a good supply of recently dug bottles. The owner of one mall noted that her partner paddles along the Red River during the spring to locate riverside dumps.

Raypadua

Reaction score
I plan on doing some research and going on some digs this spring as well. Lots of old brewery sites all over the city/province. Recently purchased a book called “300 Years of Beer in Manitoba” that has tons of great historical information to work from!

I’ve talked to a number of collectors/sellers recently that have shared their stories of digging around here since the 70’s. One guy even told me he bought his first house using proceeds from the sale of his bottle collection.

I hope I’ll be able to share some pic’s of some great finds this spring

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi