Today's Privy Find. More Hutch's.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've found hundreds of Killer Good bottles in Privy's. Since most the Privy's I dig are from the 1800's & well over 100 years old the only thing left at bottom of Privy's this old that has not disintergrated away into dust or dirt is the Bottles. That's the best place to find old bottles. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Hutches! My favorite! Nice job on those! I have a bunch of Sanborn maps. Just need to figure them out.

My Favorite Hutch's are all the Cobalt Blue ones I've found & some very rare Amber Hutch's. Seems like 99% of the hutchs that exist are Aqua.LEON.

Saturn Doll

Reaction score
Hi There, Privy is an old fashioned word for a toilet. They used to be separate, to the main house in a small wooden shed and were often just a big deep ditch with ceramic toilet or can over the top to sit on-so people threw all sorts of rubbish including bottles down them, not just for no 1 and 2. :)

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here's a outhouse I found in Alabama, never did dig this one. I thought maybe to new. I think they are still using outhouse's today down there? LEON. outhousefront.jpgouthouseside.jpg

Raypadua

Reaction score
Yup, a new and in use pricy would absolutely be NO fun

I have researched fire insurance maps in Winnipeg and found some from 1908. As with Screwtop I need to figure out how to use them and overlay current maps. I have a friend who is an archaeologist so maybe he can help!

Separate note. There are a number of local Hutch's for sale here in WINNIPEG on kijiji (like Craig’s list in the U.S.). He is selling them for a range of $40-$80 each. I looked on the hutch resource site and found info on them but nothing about scarcity or prices. I don’t think i’m Ready to spend the $ on these when I see some on eBay for a lot cheaper (but not local).

Again, I would love to find these in a dig because that would be more meaningful but I also don’t Have a single hutch in my collection so I would like to have one to hold

Any thoughts?

Raypadua

Reaction score
I think I just purchased my first Hutch for $5! It is blank though. Still has a piece of the stopper clinking around in the bottle I think as well. Were blank Hutch's a common thing to do? Hutchinson Blank Full.jpgHutchinson Blank Base.jpgHutchinson Blank Finish.jpg

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
I found some before & don't think they are common, but most of the ones I found had a blank slugplate, doesn't look like yours even has a slugplate? LEON.

P.S. your bottom looks pretty round, kinda like those torpedo bottles.

Raypadua

Reaction score
You're right Leon it does have a more rounded base. I tried looking at different pictures of torpedo bottles and they don't look the same either. I just don't know what I have! The base is very indented which I imagine was done to let the bottle stand upright but I haven't seen this indented base on any hutch's or torpedo bottle picture that I have seen. Have you seen any soda bottles with an indented base like mine?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those blank Hutchinson bottles were not terribly uncommon in Canada. I think they were the earliest ones used here. I've got a similar one which is only marked on the base and has been dated to the mid-1880s in Vancouver. I don't know why the bases were so rounded, I don't think they were meant to be held in torpedo bottle holders but I'm not certain. I've never seen a photo of one in use.
Unfortunately Hutchinsons from any province other than Ontario will generally be fairly expensive. I'd be surprised to see them going for much less than $40. There are a lot of dirt cheap ones from Toronto though, I've picked up a number of beautiful examples for $5 each over the last couple of years.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi