Peoples Cooperative Limited Milk Bottle - Rare?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Raypadua

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just picked up a "Peoples Cooperative Limited" Milk Bottle. From the base embossing (Diamond D with a D to the left, 0 (zero) to the right and a 6 at the bottom of the Diamond D). See pic.

Peoples Cooperative Limited Mild Bottle Base.jpg

I believe this was made in July/Aug 1940 or 1950 source: https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/DominionGlass.pdf

Dominion Glass Manufactured

D = Jul/Aug
0 = 1940/1950
6 = mold #

It doesn't have a dot anywhere to indicate where it was made though.

To complicate the issue the month indicators (A - F) were not in use until 1941 according to the .pdf above. However, in 1950 a different system (combinations of vertical and horizontal lines) were used to represent the months. Very confused by this dating system...neither really fits!!!

I was wondering if anyone could confirm the date and where it was produced and explain how they determined this.

Also, I have tried to find other pictures of this milk bottle online and cannot come up with a single image. Would anyone know if this is a rarity? See pic's below:

Peoples Cooperative Limited Milk Bottle Full.jpgPeoples Cooperative Limited Milk Bottle Embossed Logo (2).jpgPeoples Cooperative Limited Milk Bottle Embossed Logo.jpg

Thanks for your help!
Ray

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Miller and Jorgensen are correct in stating that they continued using the letter codes until 1953, and King is incorrect. I'm almost certain that there are a few overlapping dates for the letter code system. It may have been a case of them not switching all the machinery over for a few years.

Raypadua

Reaction score
Thanks! So that would make it a 1950 Bottle. Still not sure of the location they were made (maybe unimportant...just good enough to know it Dominion) but has anyone you seen this bottle before? Other variations?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi