Another new lid! Diamond Glass Company - DGCo - Fruit Jar lid

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Raypadua

Reaction score
This might be the only picture of this lid on the web! I can't find it anywhere. Just the jars. This lid is for the Diamond Glass Company:

Diamond Glass Company DGCo Fruit Jar Lid.jpg

More info. on this company from Historical Canadian Glass Plus

https://www.historical-canadian-glass-plus.com/dgco-jars

DGCo JARS
There can be no doubt that these are made at the Diamond Glass Co. 1890 - 1902 .
The engraving style used on the logo is a continuation of the EGCo , NAGCo & DARLING double line logo
This doesn't mean they were made to the end of the 1902 but that was the years the DGCo used that comany name.
It though seems to me they may have gone all the way to 1902 and at that time swithched this type of jar production to the BEST trade mark that they had purchaced by aquiring the Early Dominion Glass Co Ltd in 1897.
Their first BEST jars would have been the smooth lip smooth base with an overseal lid ( these smooth lip overseal jars are under valued )

Raypadua

Reaction score
Me too! I was so lucky to have gotten this lot of lids! I have learned so much about the history of fruit jars because of them and now I know what to look for when I am combing the antique stores and flea markets.

Although, I thought there would be more interest and discussion on these rare finds. Maybe this isn’t the forum for Fruit/mason jars?

Anyway, I LOVE them

Raypadua

Reaction score
They made some gorgeous glass insulators as well in their time.

I've recently been made aware Mr. H! Here is some info. a friend sent me:

I know you are mainly interested in containers but in case you didn’t already know, Diamond Glass (and it’s successor Dominion after 1913) made HUGE quantities of glass telephone and telegraph line insulators for many years. The insulators made by Diamond from circa 1900 up to 1913 and (continuing on under Dominion ownership) up to 1928 were marked with just a plain, large (and usually rather bold) diamond mark on the side. After 1928, the letter D was added to the empty diamond that had already been used for many years.

There are number of different insulator styles they manufactured, but the most common (and most popular) style is their “pony” style for local or low-voltage telephone lines. It is classed as a “CD 102” in the system of insulator identification. It is found in literally dozens of slightly different colors, including ambers, greens, shades of blue, purple, etc.

I am keeping an eye out for some of those gorgeous insulators! I will post as soon as I find a good one :)

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I think I've got one of those, it's one of the nicer lids that I've found. I once found a small dump with loads of lids in it, but no jars strangely. Also found one of those Diamond pony insulators in the same dump. I'm sure it won't take you too long to come across a Diamond pony, I see them in stores all the time. They're usually fairly inexpensive.

Brandonjwade

Reaction score
I got one. Now there's 2 on the internet

Attachments

• IMG_20200321_181858_165.jpg
    IMG_20200321_181858_165.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 185

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members