Glenn & Co jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jane67

Reaction score
I'm a long time bottle collector and was asked by a friend to value this little jar. I've never seen one before so was hoping for input from this forum. Is it rare? What did it hold? I know Glenn & Co Perfumers succeeded L.W. Glenn around 1858 in Philadelphia, so was thinking this one may be Civil War period because of the shields. 4" tall,ground lip, glass is embossed vertically Glenn & Co with a shield embossed on front. 101_0179.jpg101_0182.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
That's pretty wild. A cosmetic in what I would've sworn was a mustard jar at first glance.

jane67

Reaction score
I'll post this in Jars so maybe the jar people have seen it before.

sandchip

Reaction score
By the way, it's very nice. Sorry that I can't offer more info about it.

jane67

Reaction score
That's OK, I appreciate you looking at it! Someone may come along with info and value.

dygger60

Reaction score
(Edward Glenn A> L. W. Glenn[FONT=arial, sans-serif]), perfumery & soap, 726 Chestnut Glenn Conrad, shoemaker,....tough one....as far as price...wow...that lid is FANTASTIC because of the age alone...price is tough...wow...I have asked a couple of people and they are blank...really obscure name......
[/FONT]

Onslow

Reaction score
You may find something useful about the container in this 1867 book: Philadelphia and Its Manufactures: A Hand-book of the Great Manufactories, page 557. The link is below:
https://books.google.com/books?id=bxwVAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA557&lpg=PA557&dq=Glenn+and+Company,+perfumers,+Philadelphia&source=bl&ots=--griBXapP&sig=2Z2DX1oR1wTAPiHRAcuwhkxYdLA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhtqekq8fdAhUHCKwKHcyuAvYQ6AEwCHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Glenn%20and%20Company%2C%20perfumers%2C%20Philadelphia&f=
false
. I put Glenn & Company, perfumers, Philadelphia in my browser and found several references. To get more specific information would likely require more "digging." Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger