Thread: Glenn & Co jar

Glenn & Co jar

I'm a long time bottle collector and was asked by a friend to value this little jar. I've never seen one before so was hoping for input from this forum. Is it rare? What did it hold? I know Glenn & Co Perfumers succeeded L.W. Glenn around 1858 in Philadelphia, so was thinking this one may be Civil War period because of the shields. 4" tall,ground lip, glass is embossed vertically Glenn & Co with a shield embossed on front. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0179.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	184386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0182.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	184387

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    That's pretty wild. A cosmetic in what I would've sworn was a mustard jar at first glance.

I'll post this in Jars so maybe the jar people have seen it before.

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    By the way, it's very nice. Sorry that I can't offer more info about it.

That's OK, I appreciate you looking at it! Someone may come along with info and value.

Senior Member Bottle Master dygger60's Avatar
    (Edward Glenn A> L. W. Glenn), perfumery & soap, 726 Chestnut Glenn Conrad, shoemaker,....tough one....as far as price...wow...that lid is FANTASTIC because of the age alone...price is tough...wow...I have asked a couple of people and they are blank...really obscure name......

Senior Member Bottle Master
    This company also had several Pot Lids

Senior Member Bottle Master
    I know nothing about it, but it's a cool jar!

Junior Member New Bottler
    That lid is way cool!

You may find something useful about the container in this 1867 book: Philadelphia and Its Manufactures: A Hand-book of the Great Manufactories, page 557. The link is below:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=bxwVAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA557&lpg=PA557&dq=Glenn+ and+Company,+perfumers,+Philadelphia&source=bl&ots =--griBXapP&sig=2Z2DX1oR1wTAPiHRAcuwhkxYdLA&hl=en&sa= X&ved=2ahUKEwjhtqekq8fdAhUHCKwKHcyuAvYQ6AEwCHoECAg QAQ#v=onepage&q=Glenn%20and%20Company%2C%20perfume rs%2C%20Philadelphia&f=
    false
    . I put Glenn & Company, perfumers, Philadelphia in my browser and found several references. To get more specific information would likely require more "digging." Good luck!