Help Identifying Clay Bottle Closure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dano2l

Reaction score
Hello,

While on vacation, I found this in Lake Ontario on the Canadian side where the water had eroded the bank. (In or around Niagara-on-the-Lake.) It appears to be a clay stopper of some sort. It's 2" in diameter with a 3/4" threaded hole. There's still amber glass in the threads.

Any idea of what it is? I'm guessing it's either a bottle top or some sort of electrical insulator. I went with post 1900 due to the glass threading. Not sure why the glass is still embedded in it. Assumed to be hand made due to the irregular shape.

20180915_133726.jpg

20180915_133749.jpg

20180915_133813.jpg

Thanks!

nhpharm

Reaction score
This looks like a heavily worn antique door knob to me? The amber glass would be the original glaze, which is worn off everywhere but in the threads?

dano2l

Reaction score
This looks like a heavily worn antique door knob to me? The amber glass would be the original glaze, which is worn off everywhere but in the threads?

Great idea! I didn't think of that. I hit the google and on a second look, I think it's a bit too small and too thin to be a doorknob. Also, most doorknobs seem to be one-sided instead of having a large hole go through the middle (although there are a few with a metal center and glass knob).

I think you're right on the glaze though. I thought it was embedded threads from a bottle (which is why I posted here), but on closer look it appears to be a dark glaze on the item itself.

I also discovered that what I thought were three chips on the inside edge on the whiter side were likely put there intentionally while the clay was wet. And it has a right-hand thread.

With some more googling I found out that the marbled look is a clay style called agateware. I still have no idea what it is though. The marbled clay, glaze, threading, three chips and handmade irregularity are all clues. With my luck it's some random piece of a kiln or something. I guess I need to hit up a ceramics group.

Irregular thickness (which doesn't appear to be a result of wear):

20180916_013801.jpg

(approx 1/2 thick with about 1/8" variation)

20180916_013832.jpg
Three carved out "chips"

dano2l

Reaction score
Any chance this is the top part of a stoneware bottle or jug? It has that same donut shape as the top of the big jug in the back. Perhaps the internal threading is for a stopper and the three notches are match marks or something. Anyone have any good links on stoneware bottle manufacturing?

botellas.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I think it's likely a doorknob too. The reason it's small and has a hole all the way through is because it's been tumbling around in the surf for 100 years so it got worn down. I've never heard of stoneware that looks anything like that.

Teradacto58

Reaction score
I have seen quite a few vases over the years... made from the same clay. I'm in Western Canada...I noticed some pieces were stamped on the bottom "Niloak"

Teradacto58

Reaction score
I found out Niloak is Kaolin spelt backwards...it was founded in Benton,Arkansas....in 1909 ,an Art Pottery Co.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora