Large 1940's Dump Discovered - Advice?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah it definitely could be an older section of the dump. It does look like something was dumped there, though it isn't necessarily trash.

barberman

Reaction score
I use Google earth...How do I go about using Lidar data. Seems very interesting. Thanks

BottleDragon

Reaction score
I use Google earth...How do I go about using Lidar data. Seems very interesting. Thanks

Hi barberman... You can try finding your area on OpenTopography. http://opentopo.sdsc.edu/lidar?format=ge

Download the KMZ file and then open it using Google Earth.

Alternately, check your city or state website to see if they have the data available for download. They may even have their own map viewer that you can use to view the data.

Hope this helps.

Brett

Reaction score
Interesting to see the difference in the vegetation that has overgrown the site. Likely deciduous trees from the look of the satellite image. Have a look around the area on the satellite image to find more possible clearings like this one. Very nice find.

Last edited:

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Yeah, there are a couple of similar-looking areas that I've yet to explore. It's definitely a good idea to pay attention to differences in tree type because they often indicate where a house, farm or dump once existed.

In the meantime, I've been back to this location twice to do some digging. I'm just getting some pics ready to post right now.

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Here are some my finds from this place...

corktop.jpg

Corktop medicines (with cork remnants)
1. Unknown slick
2. Langdale's Concentrated Medicinal Essence of Cinnamon
3. Unknown with embossed measurements
4. Unknown amber bottle/vial

screwtop.jpg

Screwtop embossed medicines
1. Rawleigh's - really nice example, looks like new
2. Wood's Norway Pine Syrup - marked Toronto, ON. Very nice condition
3. Owbridge's Tonic - some clouding of the glass

embossed.jpg

1. Canadian Coke marked 1946 - good condition
2. Phillips Milk of Magnesia
3. Embossed man with huge fish - I understand this is Scott's Emulsion

jars.jpg

1. Dominion Wide Mouth Special - pretty cloudy
2. Unknown, amber art deco style - my first thought was coffee, but I couldn't find any examples of this jar.

misc.jpg

Odds and ends... small common bottles, a salt shaker, and a glass stopper.

Not bad overall. I think some of the cork tops and embossed medicines are from the 1920's or early 1930's.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That Langdale's is interesting, I don't think I've ever seen that one before. It looks like you're at least getting into the 30s there so that's a good sign!

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Rainy day dig (yesterday).

The hole I started a couple weeks ago, which is also where I found the Coke bottle and the Langdale's...

hole.jpg

Here's a some of the stuff I dug yesterday...

stuff.jpg
sign.jpg
closeup.jpg

Too bad the Player's sign was partly rusted away... I also found two broken Coke bottles, one from Seattle with no date and the other marked 1949; and two partially melted & broken 7-Up ACLs. There was also a Hires ACL and an amber Crush ACL that were broken (not in pictures).

broke.jpg
melt.jpg
broke2.jpg

Here's the ones I took home and cleaned up...

meds.jpg

Left to right: Buckley's, unknown with cap, Chas. H. Fletcher Castoria, Familex, unknown with measurements (patd 1930), Phillip's Milk of Magnesia Tablets.

This tablets bottle is a larger size than the previous one. I had to look up Familex because I had no idea what it was. Still not sure, but it appears to have been a Montreal based pharmaceutical company.

cups.jpg

The milk glass mug cleaned up real nice, so I don't know why they threw it out. Same with the glass on the right, which I believe is a dose glass (though it has no writing on it). I found both of those in the same spot. The amber whisky bottle is marked Hiram Walker & Sons Limited. Not rare, but nice embossing. On second thought, maybe that dose glass is just a really big shot glass. ;)

BottleDragon

Reaction score
That Langdale's is interesting, I don't think I've ever seen that one before. It looks like you're at least getting into the 30s there so that's a good sign!

Yeah, I'd say that's the most interesting thing I've found. It bears the mark of the Southern Glass Company ("S" inside elongated diamond), which dates it between 1920 and 1925... supposedly.

RCO

Reaction score
there sure is a lot of stuff there , you definitely found a large dump site . often in those sort of dumps , most of the soda bottles are broken . so not a surprise you dug some damaged ones

but I'd keep poking around , the site seems to have potential . I've found lots of 40's era coke's like that but usually found them when swimming around docks here

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi