Large 1940's Dump Discovered - Advice?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Nice find on the Shano, never seen that one and it's marked from BC no less! Fruit jar lids can be hard to date if you don't know what jar it went to, but I'd guess that that one dates from the late 19th century up to maybe 1920 or so.

Yeah, I was pretty happy to find the Shano. It seems practically unknown, or at least no other examples of the actual bottle comes up when I search online.

I was guessing 1890 to 1910 on the lid myself, but the only thing I'm basing that on is the amount of bubbles in the glass.

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Wow, how time flies. I didn't realize it had been over a month since I posted in this thread. I have been back there a few times since I last updated.

I finally found an intact Atlas E-Z Seal quart jar (I've found lots of broken ones at several other dumps). The lid was missing, but I found a good one at a different dump.

IMG_2821.jpg

It cleaned up pretty nice, too. Also pictured below: green ribbed bottle, cobalt slick, Perfect Seal pint jar, salt/pepper shaker, E.W. Hoyt & Co. Perfumers Lowell Mass U.S.A., Horlick's Malted Milk Lunch Tablets.

IMG_2881.jpg

Peerless Ink, slick aqua ink and clear ink (at least I think).

IMG_2889.jpg

Below: Dr. S.N. Thomas No. 5520 The Proprietary or Patent Medicine Act Eclectric Oil (front) / Northrop & Lyman Co. Limited Toronto, Canada (reverse) / Internal / External (sides).

IMG_2884.jpg

Below: Rigo Improved Nurser Pat'd 1922 Design Reg. 1926, unknown baby bottle with ounces markings, The F. W. Fitch Co. Canada Ltd., Mrs. Stewart's Bluing, Property of C.D.G.A. Limited R.D. 1930 (aqua with crown top and stippling pattern throughout body), Pertussin, gin bottle with ornate embossing, Mason Fruit Jar (aqua embossed), unknown liquor bottle, various jar lids.

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

I can take better photos if anyone is curious about a specific bottle.

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Another thing to keep an eye out for is ACL druggist bottles, no idea if any were used in that area but you're in the right era for them. I rarely see anyone talking about them in Canada but they were used here; I've got one from Victoria - only example from BC I've ever seen.

I found my first one the other day! As soon as I realized what it was, I remembered your post.

woodwards.jpg

porlip.jpg

The bottom says "Porlip Oval Reg'd '37".

I looked up Porlip Oval on Google image search and a few examples of this style of bottle came up. No others from Woodward's, but some other Canadian ones.

I also found this druggist glass not far from where I found that bottle...

druggist.jpg

geoohill.jpg

It says "Geo O. Hill, Druggist" on one side and "Elmwood" on the other. Unfortunately, it has a crack in it.

yacorie

Reaction score
Those are some great finds. I had no idea that medicines were ACL too - thats good to know.

I love all the different lids to the fruit jars that you've been able to find.

Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

RCO

Reaction score
the Woodward's is definitely an acl druggist although not sure how collectable one from Woodward's would be when compared to the ones from smaller independent druggists , they seem to be the ones in more demand

not that familiar with the Woodward's chain but my understanding is they had a lot of stores at some point

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those are a couple of really nice finds! I've never seen a Woodward's ACL druggist before, even if it was a large chain it's still a local chain so that makes it a good one in my books. These ACL bottles were also not in use for very long so it's likely pretty rare regardless. And the local phone number makes it even better.
That dose cup is also really nice, regardless of the crack. Do you have any idea where it's from? I can't find any towns named Elmwood. There is a neighbourhood called Elmwood in Winnipeg and a town called Elmwood Park in New Jersey though.

RCO

Reaction score
Those are a couple of really nice finds! I've never seen a Woodward's ACL druggist before, even if it was a large chain it's still a local chain so that makes it a good one in my books. These ACL bottles were also not in use for very long so it's likely pretty rare regardless. And the local phone number makes it even better.
That dose cup is also really nice, regardless of the crack. Do you have any idea where it's from? I can't find any towns named Elmwood. There is a neighbourhood called Elmwood in Winnipeg and a town called Elmwood Park in New Jersey though.

I didn't realise 'Woodward's " was a western Canada chain only , that might make it a bit more unusual . and the acl is all there , which helps , as sometimes it gone or faded

I'm confused about the Elmwood too , there are some streets and locations in BC referred to as Elmwood but not towns . one street in Burnaby BC but not sure it be large enough to have a druggist , it is near the hospital though , when I checked on google maps

if its not from BC , the Elmwood area of Winnipeg would be the next logical option , although along way to travel for a dose cup

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Yes, Geo. O. Hill was a Winnipeg druggist according to my research.

0_0_4961_6797.jpg

As for how it found its way here, I haven't the faintest clue.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Ah, there we go! Dose cups were reusable items, so someone probably kept it after moving from Winnipeg to BC and then threw it away after it was damaged.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi