Large 1940's Dump Discovered - Advice?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I've recovered these "dose" or "shot" glasses here in Florida in two, maybe three sizes. I thought for a long time that these were jam or jelly jars. Then I happened upon these glasses which led me to suspect that they are snuff containers.

No doubt that the market appeal of these containers were their re-usability as drinking glasses. It's still possible that the rimmed glasses are jam jars, while the rimless examples are for snuff. The date fits your site . . . '30s to '40s.

snuff_jars_lids.jpgsnuff_jars.jpg[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

BottleDragon

Reaction score
there sure is a lot of stuff there , you definitely found a large dump site . often in those sort of dumps , most of the soda bottles are broken . so not a surprise you dug some damaged ones

but I'd keep poking around , the site seems to have potential . I've found lots of 40's era coke's like that but usually found them when swimming around docks here
Yeah, it's crazy how much stuff is here. A lot of common stuff, but just enough interesting pieces to make it worthwhile.

I did find some whole soda bottles today, in fact, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I've recovered these "dose" or "shot" glasses here in Florida in two, maybe three sizes. I thought for a long time that these were jam or jelly jars. Then I happened upon these glasses which led me to suspect that they are snuff containers.

No doubt that the market appeal of these containers were their re-usability as drinking glasses. It's still possible that the rimmed glasses are jam jars, while the rimless examples are for snuff. The date fits your site . . . '30s to '40s.
Interesting. I would not have guessed that in a hundred years, so thanks for the info. The height of mine is 3" and the width at the rim is 2".

That dump sure would keep me busy! I'd just keep hitting it whenever things get slow at other places.
It's definitely keeping me busy. I've been looking for better (older) places, but the last older place I dug practically everything was broken. At least here I can find whole bottles even if most are common ones. I still enjoy some of the common ones, anyway.

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of North Star Beverages out of Prince Rupert, BC? I found all three in the same spot. Don't know anything about them.

northstar.jpg

Here's some more of what I dug up today...

IMG_2743.jpg

Check out this funky glassware (that is unfortunately broken)... would have been a keeper for sure!

IMG_2744.jpg

Looking pretty nice for a dump...

IMG_2736.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I have heard of North Star beverages from Prince Rupert BC , but the bottle I saw on ebay in 2017 was green not clear ( but did save a picture of it) . think they'd be from the 50's or 60's but not sure how long they operated for . likely tossed as they'd have been from too far away to return ? I'd assume your not from that area

think your 3 bottles might be earlier than the green bottle I saw online maybe from late 40's or early 50's , seem to have a slightly different design

but to find 3 of them with paint still on them is a good find , need to be careful when you try and clean them . its best to let them dry for a little while .

northstar-princerupert.jpg

Last edited:

BottleDragon

Reaction score
I have heard of North Star beverages from Prince Rupert BC , but the bottle I saw on ebay in 2017 was green not clear ( but did save a picture of it) . think they'd be from the 50's or 60's but not sure how long they operated for . likely tossed as they'd have been from too far away to return ? I'd assume your not from that area

think your 3 bottles might be earlier than the green bottle I saw online maybe from late 40's or early 50's , seem to have a slightly different design

but to find 3 of them with paint still on them is a good find , need to be careful when you try and clean them . its best to let them dry for a little while .

Yeah, I'm pretty far from Prince Rupert, so I'm guessing that's the case.

I'm not the best with date codes, but the bases show a "C" followed by the Dominion Glass mark, then a "7". I interpret this as May-June of 1947, but I could be wrong. If correct, that jibes with other stuff I've found here. Several of the broken Coke bottles are marked 1947.

I was extremely careful transporting them home, and haven't touched them yet. I will let them settle for a week or so before attempting anything. One bottle has a highly degraded ACL, so it will be my guinea pig. They all have general dirt as well as some rust stains.

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty far from Prince Rupert, so I'm guessing that's the case.

I'm not the best with date codes, but the bases show a "C" followed by the Dominion Glass mark, then a "7". I interpret this as May-June of 1947, but I could be wrong. If correct, that jibes with other stuff I've found here. Several of the broken Coke bottles are marked 1947.

I was extremely careful transporting them home, and haven't touched them yet. I will let them settle for a week or so before attempting anything. One bottle has a highly degraded ACL, so it will be my guinea pig. They all have general dirt as well as some rust stains.

the date of 47 would seem to make sense , especially if your finding coke's nearby with the same date .

wish I knew more about it but I don't have any BC bottle books , but I'd imagine there fairly uncommon just based on the size and geographical location of Prince Rupert

I'd definitely try and clean the damaged one first and see how that goes , but if the paint has survived this long you should be ok to clean them

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Fun place you found there. Like RCO said the sodas are broken a lot and it's a teaser to see what could have been. But anytime you can find cobalts it is a good day. And Coke bottles were made so thick, they seem to hold up well over time.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I've heard of North Star and have seen that red and white one before, they aren't common in the south of the province but I don't know how many are up your way. I really like the Players sign, shame it's damaged but I'd keep it even in that condition. One sign means there may be more! That glass dish thing is interesting as well, even broken I'd take it home. Another thing to keep an eye out for is ACL druggist bottles, no idea if any were used in that area but you're in the right era for them. I rarely see anyone talking about them in Canada but they were used here; I've got one from Victoria - only example from BC I've ever seen.

This post is making me all nostalgic, what you're finding are the exact sort of bottles that I found all the time when I was in BC.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh also, I think I see a Shell bottle in there. Those can be somewhat collectible, especially if they still have the ACL on them.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger