Large 1940's Dump Discovered - Advice?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleDragon

Reaction score
wish I knew more about it but I don't have any BC bottle books , but I'd imagine there fairly uncommon just based on the size and geographical location of Prince Rupert
I will have to find some BC bottle books. I could only find one picture of this bottle online, but no other information.

Fun place you found there. Like RCO said the sodas are broken a lot and it's a teaser to see what could have been. But anytime you can find cobalts it is a good day. And Coke bottles were made so thick, they seem to hold up well over time.
Yeah, seems he was right about finding more "out of area" soda bottles that are intact and most local ones being broken. I actually found several different shades of cobalt bottles here. I never knew there were so many variations.

I've heard of North Star and have seen that red and white one before, they aren't common in the south of the province but I don't know how many are up your way. I really like the Players sign, shame it's damaged but I'd keep it even in that condition. One sign means there may be more! That glass dish thing is interesting as well, even broken I'd take it home. Another thing to keep an eye out for is ACL druggist bottles, no idea if any were used in that area but you're in the right era for them. I rarely see anyone talking about them in Canada but they were used here; I've got one from Victoria - only example from BC I've ever seen.

This post is making me all nostalgic, what you're finding are the exact sort of bottles that I found all the time when I was in BC.

Oh also, I think I see a Shell bottle in there. Those can be somewhat collectible, especially if they still have the ACL on them.

I am actually in the south of BC, so these bottles must be almost unheard of down here. I left behind the sign and the glass bowl, but doing so went against my hoarding instinct.

It has been kind of nostalgic for me too, because I had found a similar (though much smaller) dump when I was 11 or 12 years old. In those days, I used to take home everything -- even the ketchup bottles. Eventually, we started smashing them because they were so common.

LOL... I was finding a lot of those shells, and they look almost like new.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I don't think there are any BC bottle books for that era. I can only think of three and all focus on pre-1930 bottles. I've been trying to save pictures of every later BC soda bottle I come across but I still see unfamiliar ones from time to time.
Interesting how bottles tended to end up in far-off cities back then. There's a dump on the Island (not diggable now) that's absolutely loaded with soda bottles from Vernon. No idea what they were doing there.
If you're finding Shell bottles with intact ACLs you should definitely keep them, they're probably the most valuable thing you've found so far. They can bring in $20+ each.

BottleDragon

Reaction score
I don't think there are any BC bottle books for that era. I can only think of three and all focus on pre-1930 bottles. I've been trying to save pictures of every later BC soda bottle I come across but I still see unfamiliar ones from time to time.
Interesting how bottles tended to end up in far-off cities back then. There's a dump on the Island (not diggable now) that's absolutely loaded with soda bottles from Vernon. No idea what they were doing there.
If you're finding Shell bottles with intact ACLs you should definitely keep them, they're probably the most valuable thing you've found so far. They can bring in $20+ each.

Oh, I thought you were joking about the shells, because I was finding a lot of actual seashells. I will have to look more closely since I'm not sure which bottle you are referring to.

RCO

Reaction score
I've heard of North Star and have seen that red and white one before, they aren't common in the south of the province but I don't know how many are up your way. I really like the Players sign, shame it's damaged but I'd keep it even in that condition. One sign means there may be more! That glass dish thing is interesting as well, even broken I'd take it home. Another thing to keep an eye out for is ACL druggist bottles, no idea if any were used in that area but you're in the right era for them. I rarely see anyone talking about them in Canada but they were used here; I've got one from Victoria - only example from BC I've ever seen.

This post is making me all nostalgic, what you're finding are the exact sort of bottles that I found all the time when I was in BC.

there is some acl druggist bottles from Ontario , I've seen some before but never found one in the wild . have no idea what places in BC might have one though ?

RCO

Reaction score
I found a picture online of a different variation of the green bottle , from an ebay post from 2014 , someone had the bottle but didn't seem to know much about it and asked a question . it looks similar to yours but green .

its not uncommon to not be able to find information online about older bottles , especially if there from smaller places

northstar-princerupertBC.jpgnorthstar-princerupertBC1.jpg

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archi...tage-what-price-should-I-ask-on/td-p/19003971

BottleDragon

Reaction score
That looks identical to my bottles, except green. It also appears to be of a similar age to mine, while the one on the previous page appears to be newer, judging by the textured base. With so few examples it's difficult to judge which style is the most common, though perhaps this green version was a brief transition between the clear style and newer green style -- so it could be the least common one.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
In the photo with the Players sign there's a bottle with a ribbed design next to a Milk of Magnesia bottle. That looks like those Shell ACL bottles, they had things like furniture polish in them. I could be wrong though.

And RCO I've got one from Renfrew as well, that and the Victoria one are the only two I've come across. Never found even a piece of them in the wild. I've never seen or heard of another example of the one from Victoria so there could likely be other examples from BC I haven't heard of.

BottleDragon

Reaction score
In the photo with the Players sign there's a bottle with a ribbed design next to a Milk of Magnesia bottle. That looks like those Shell ACL bottles, they had things like furniture polish in them. I could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure it is that bottle, now that I think about it. I have found a couple of those, but I think the ACL was either badly worn or completely gone from both of them.

I've found some other household bottles with ACLs in bad condition, such as this one (not my picture)...

soiloff.jpg
https://www.etsy.com/listing/268499178/vintage-1930s1940s-soil-off-household

I've found two of these, but they were too far gone.

RCO

Reaction score
That looks identical to my bottles, except green. It also appears to be of a similar age to mine, while the one on the previous page appears to be newer, judging by the textured base. With so few examples it's difficult to judge which style is the most common, though perhaps this green version was a brief transition between the clear style and newer green style -- so it could be the least common one.

most bottlers used clear and green bottles at the same time , they put different flavours in clear bottles than the green ones . the green could of been for a ginger ale or lime drink . and clear maybe a cola or orange drink .

agree the green bottle I saw on ebay last year is newer than your clear bottles or the green one I saw the other day

BottleDragon

Reaction score
most bottlers used clear and green bottles at the same time , they put different flavours in clear bottles than the green ones . the green could of been for a ginger ale or lime drink . and clear maybe a cola or orange drink .

agree the green bottle I saw on ebay last year is newer than your clear bottles or the green one I saw the other day

Good point. I noticed the bottles don't mention what flavour the contents are, so it makes sense they'd use different colours of glass.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18