Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51
  1. #21
    Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northcentral Florida
    Posts
    829
    I've recovered these "dose" or "shot" glasses here in Florida in two, maybe three sizes. I thought for a long time that these were jam or jelly jars. Then I happened upon these glasses which led me to suspect that they are snuff containers.

    No doubt that the market appeal of these containers were their re-usability as drinking glasses. It's still possible that the rimmed glasses are jam jars, while the rimless examples are for snuff. The date fits your site . . . '30s to '40s.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snuff_jars_lids.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	184903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snuff_jars.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	184904

  2. #22
    Senior Member Bottle Finder GLASSHOPPER55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    LaPorte County, Indiana
    Posts
    161
    That dump sure would keep me busy! I'd just keep hitting it whenever things get slow at other places.
    "Digging Up the Past --- One Bottle at a Time, Since 1969"

  3. #23
    Member New Bottler
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by RCO View Post
    there sure is a lot of stuff there , you definitely found a large dump site . often in those sort of dumps , most of the soda bottles are broken . so not a surprise you dug some damaged ones

    but I'd keep poking around , the site seems to have potential . I've found lots of 40's era coke's like that but usually found them when swimming around docks here
    Yeah, it's crazy how much stuff is here. A lot of common stuff, but just enough interesting pieces to make it worthwhile.

    I did find some whole soda bottles today, in fact, so that was a pleasant surprise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Pristis View Post
    I've recovered these "dose" or "shot" glasses here in Florida in two, maybe three sizes. I thought for a long time that these were jam or jelly jars. Then I happened upon these glasses which led me to suspect that they are snuff containers.

    No doubt that the market appeal of these containers were their re-usability as drinking glasses. It's still possible that the rimmed glasses are jam jars, while the rimless examples are for snuff. The date fits your site . . . '30s to '40s.
    Interesting. I would not have guessed that in a hundred years, so thanks for the info. The height of mine is 3" and the width at the rim is 2".

    Quote Originally Posted by GLASSHOPPER55 View Post
    That dump sure would keep me busy! I'd just keep hitting it whenever things get slow at other places.
    It's definitely keeping me busy. I've been looking for better (older) places, but the last older place I dug practically everything was broken. At least here I can find whole bottles even if most are common ones. I still enjoy some of the common ones, anyway.

  4. #24
    Member New Bottler
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    38
    Has anyone heard of North Star Beverages out of Prince Rupert, BC? I found all three in the same spot. Don't know anything about them.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstar.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	184998

    Here's some more of what I dug up today...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2743.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	184999

    Check out this funky glassware (that is unfortunately broken)... would have been a keeper for sure!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2744.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	185000

    Looking pretty nice for a dump...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2736.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	185001

  5. #25
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    2,498
    I have heard of North Star beverages from Prince Rupert BC , but the bottle I saw on ebay in 2017 was green not clear ( but did save a picture of it) . think they'd be from the 50's or 60's but not sure how long they operated for . likely tossed as they'd have been from too far away to return ? I'd assume your not from that area

    think your 3 bottles might be earlier than the green bottle I saw online maybe from late 40's or early 50's , seem to have a slightly different design

    but to find 3 of them with paint still on them is a good find , need to be careful when you try and clean them . its best to let them dry for a little while .


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northstar-princerupert.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	185023
    Last edited by RCO; 10-16-2018 at 10:16 AM.

  6. #26
    Member New Bottler
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by RCO View Post
    I have heard of North Star beverages from Prince Rupert BC , but the bottle I saw on ebay in 2017 was green not clear ( but did save a picture of it) . think they'd be from the 50's or 60's but not sure how long they operated for . likely tossed as they'd have been from too far away to return ? I'd assume your not from that area

    think your 3 bottles might be earlier than the green bottle I saw online maybe from late 40's or early 50's , seem to have a slightly different design

    but to find 3 of them with paint still on them is a good find , need to be careful when you try and clean them . its best to let them dry for a little while .
    Yeah, I'm pretty far from Prince Rupert, so I'm guessing that's the case.

    I'm not the best with date codes, but the bases show a "C" followed by the Dominion Glass mark, then a "7". I interpret this as May-June of 1947, but I could be wrong. If correct, that jibes with other stuff I've found here. Several of the broken Coke bottles are marked 1947.

    I was extremely careful transporting them home, and haven't touched them yet. I will let them settle for a week or so before attempting anything. One bottle has a highly degraded ACL, so it will be my guinea pig. They all have general dirt as well as some rust stains.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    2,498
    Quote Originally Posted by BottleDragon View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty far from Prince Rupert, so I'm guessing that's the case.

    I'm not the best with date codes, but the bases show a "C" followed by the Dominion Glass mark, then a "7". I interpret this as May-June of 1947, but I could be wrong. If correct, that jibes with other stuff I've found here. Several of the broken Coke bottles are marked 1947.

    I was extremely careful transporting them home, and haven't touched them yet. I will let them settle for a week or so before attempting anything. One bottle has a highly degraded ACL, so it will be my guinea pig. They all have general dirt as well as some rust stains.

    the date of 47 would seem to make sense , especially if your finding coke's nearby with the same date .

    wish I knew more about it but I don't have any BC bottle books , but I'd imagine there fairly uncommon just based on the size and geographical location of Prince Rupert

    I'd definitely try and clean the damaged one first and see how that goes , but if the paint has survived this long you should be ok to clean them

  8. #28
    Member New Bottler
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Connellsville, PA
    Posts
    89
    Fun place you found there. Like RCO said the sodas are broken a lot and it's a teaser to see what could have been. But anytime you can find cobalts it is a good day. And Coke bottles were made so thick, they seem to hold up well over time.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,480
    I've heard of North Star and have seen that red and white one before, they aren't common in the south of the province but I don't know how many are up your way. I really like the Players sign, shame it's damaged but I'd keep it even in that condition. One sign means there may be more! That glass dish thing is interesting as well, even broken I'd take it home. Another thing to keep an eye out for is ACL druggist bottles, no idea if any were used in that area but you're in the right era for them. I rarely see anyone talking about them in Canada but they were used here; I've got one from Victoria - only example from BC I've ever seen.

    This post is making me all nostalgic, what you're finding are the exact sort of bottles that I found all the time when I was in BC.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,480
    Oh also, I think I see a Shell bottle in there. Those can be somewhat collectible, especially if they still have the ACL on them.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •