River Diving for Antiques in Canada

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scubacanuck

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ok, off to a false start on this chat, since I tried to push my YouTube channel a bit too hard, so I'm taking a mulligan. I'm from Ottawa, Canada and been diving all summer for antiques and making videos. Started off doing traditional shipwreck dives, but quickly realized I enjoyed looking for antiques in rivers a lot more.

Attached are some of my best finds to date and what I think they are.

1. Wine or olive oil bottle 1820 to 1850? Posted on another thread in this chat for info.
2. Mustard jar 1870-1890, info found on this site.
3. Beer bottle pre-1900

Looking forward to your comments and will post future finds in appropriate threads.

Thanks
André

IMG_3330.jpgIMG_3332.jpgIMG_2774.jpgIMG_2777.jpgIMG_3349.jpgIMG_3350.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Some forums would label this post as blatant poaching and delete it. The idea of this forum is to post your diving adventures HERE.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
You can also insert a video directly into here-- there is a film-icon right of the picture-icon. But I should think that linking to YouTube would be preferable to the site owner, for that means he only has to pay for the text memory. A video costs more to maintain on the site, because images and video take up more storage-space. But a link takes up little storage.
But, we would like to see a few choice photos uploaded to here with detailed descriptions of your adventures and of what we are seeing. A show of your best in-situation and best-finds photos would be nice as that is what this site is truly meant for. Indeed, based off of how you typed your post, it does sound like you were only trying to get people to subscribe to your YouTube page. I think that is what Harry Pristis meant and was frowning at.

scubacanuck

Reaction score
Ok, took back my post and rewrote it. I'm really into bottles and I don't want to sound like I'm here for a quick plug. I do spent a lot of time on my videos, so I tend to plug my channel whenever I can. I'll try to balance things out a lot more, since I want to be in good standings in this forum.

Cheers
André

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Good job, Andre. Welcome.
4wineshapes.jpgwinesealedtrio.jpg

Your first bottle is a French wine bottle, a Bordeaux wine bottle. The black glass bottle is (likely) British, an ale bottle.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice finds! Do you find Ottawa and Hull items a lot? I lived in Ottawa for a while so I collect bottles local to the area. I'd be interested to see photos of your local finds!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thanks Harry, as for dates, what would be your closest guess?

The Bordeaux bottle without a pontil scar is late --- say the last quarter of the 19th century. The French exported a gazillion of these wine bottles. The lip finish improved somewhat over the decades, but they never got beyond crude until they were fully molded.
The ale bottle is a little earlier, I think.

wine_bordeaux_lip.jpg

scubacanuck

Reaction score
Nice finds! Do you find Ottawa and Hull items a lot? I lived in Ottawa for a while so I collect bottles local to the area. I'd be interested to see photos of your local finds!

Top of my head I have a Nesbitt of Califonia and it says on the back it was bottle in Ottawa. When I'll get home tonight I can send you a pic. Do you have one of those in your collection?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi