Member New Bottler Old Wiltshire's Avatar

Canadian Label Catalogue - 1910

-
    LAWSON & JONES OF LONDON, CANADA

LABELS, CONTAINERS, BOXES ETC.

-

-

Similar to the 'Druggists' Labels Sample Book' that I put up the other day here is another flipbook printers catalogue.
    It is an updated version of a copyright free example from the 'Internet Archive'.
    This one, dated 1910, is from Lawson & Jones of London, Canada.
    The examples contain many names and locations of Canadian chemists, druggists and pharmacies.
    -
    The link to the flipbook is below the cover image.

-

-

http://anyflip.com/qbni/zwtd

-

-

Link to the 'Druggists' Labels Sample Book' post mentioned above:

https://www.antique-bottles.net/show...ls-Sample-Book

Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar
    It is interesting to see (as compared to the 1870s book) how much more modern, wordy, and business-like this book is in label design: including even personalised stationary. Very clean, very neat: a transition as we get closer to today's plain packaging. I, though, much prefer the busy designs on the borders of the older (1870s) labels even if many weren't as colourful (barring the chromolithographs, of course).

Thanks for sharing.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    i flipped thru the book , its definitely interesting . really haven't seen many of the labels in it before . being there from 1910 , I doubt there is a lot of them still in existence .

some of the labels seemed ahead of there time , didn't think of printing in 1910 as being that advanced or detailed , but some of them really are

Wow, that's a fantastic resource! Quite a few names in there that are familiar to me. I'll have to look through my labelled druggists tomorrow to see how many have labels that are featured in there. I saw several that looked familiar.

Printers' sample books are amazing resources. The best ones I've ever seen were for another London, Ontario printing firm, the Wright Lithographing Co., Ltd. Back in the 1990s I was able to peruse their old sample books in the their archives. The most interesting things, to my mind, even though I collect drugstore and poison bottles, were the milk bottle labels for myriad independent dairies from the late 1890s through to the 1910s.