Senior Member Bottle Finder PlaneDiggerCam's Avatar

Yard Sale Finds: Nice sodas from R.I. and more!

Was looking online and found a yard sale description saying old bottles that was very close by. I obviously couldn't pass this up and I ended up going. I left with 6 bottles for $12 (about $2 per bottle) which was not a bad deal for what I ended up with!
    Here they are:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181007_154713.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	184870

Packer' s Cutaneous Charm, 2 McManus and Meade Western Hotel Nasonville R.I. Crown tops, 1940s orange crush, Jewett City Rock Water Bottling Works Jewett City, Conn, and an open pontiled med.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181007_154011.jpg  

Junior Member New Bottler
    Pretty nice haul... even a pontiled bottle... wow. People usually want almost that much just for the Crush bottle around here.

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Yeah, Thats a good deal. Congrats. LEON.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    seems like a good find , I do occasionally find bottles at yard sales but usually not old bottles from this period .

I haven't seen the 3 local bottles posted on this site before and don't know anything about them but I like the general look of them . I have a lot of similar looking embossed/art deco bottles from Ontario

I just can't believe most of the bottles were priced no more than $3. I really wish I got there earlier becuase I had heard some other collecters had already come and bought some nice CT blobs. I still came out with a nice haul.

Quote Originally Posted by PlaneDiggerCam View Post
    I just can't believe most of the bottles were priced no more than $3. I really wish I got there earlier becuase I had heard some other collecters had already come and bought some nice CT blobs. I still came out with a nice haul.
    there doesn't seem to be as many collectors looking for embossed soda's from that time period for some reason when compared to other bottles. that's partly why I was able to acquire so many , rather easily

my guess is an older collector passed away and whoever inherited the collection eventually decided to sell it . either didn't know much about bottles or didn't care and just wanted them out of the house

I think you are right RCO, that would explain the low prices. I also noticed that the Nasonville R.I. crown top sodas are BIM! Does a blown crown top have more collectible value than a macine made crown top?

Quote Originally Posted by PlaneDiggerCam View Post
    I think you are right RCO, that would explain the low prices. I also noticed that the Nasonville R.I. crown top sodas are BIM! Does a blown crown top have more collectible value than a macine made crown top?
    I don't know it would depend on the bottle and how rare or common it was . have you found anything else out about those bottles . are they actually from a hotel ? that could make them more uncommon . I'd try and research them a little to learn more

Good scores! The Western Hotels are pretty common but the Packer's Cutaneous Charm is uncommon and the pontil medicine is pretty early (1830s?).
    https://books.google.com/books?id=_Z...arm%22&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by RIBottleguy View Post
    Good scores! The Western Hotels are pretty common but the Packer's Cutaneous Charm is uncommon and the pontil medicine is pretty early (1830s?).
    https://books.google.com/books?id=_Z...arm%22&f=false
    Thanks for the information and message!