Need help figuring out the year of this English chow chow looking jar?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scubacanuck

Reaction score
Hello,

Went diving where my mother lives and grew up, small village of Saint-Anne-du-Lac, Québec, Canada, founded around 1900. Found this jar, from what I research, it looks like an English chow chow jar, but since there is no markings on it, I'm having a hard time figuring out the date.

I'm posting this in before 1900s, because the jar has no marking, so it might be the earlier version of a model that was discontinued in 1910.

Would love to have more info, if someone knows about this type of jar.

IMG_3512.jpgIMG_3511.jpgIMG_3516.jpg

Thanks,
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-KMiwXvlA1aFyJ76T82pQ

Last edited:

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Very difficult to give anything definite to without markings. It looks like a fairly late blown bottle, pre automatic bottle machine, which would put it generally at 1890-1910 ish, as they kept blowing some stuff by hand even after the advent of ABM.

Jim G

scubacanuck

Reaction score
Very difficult to give anything definite to without markings. It looks like a fairly late blown bottle, pre automatic bottle machine, which would put it generally at 1890-1910 ish, as they kept blowing some stuff by hand even after the advent of ABM.

Jim G

Thanks Jim There are mould seams on this bottle, does it mean it was made in two pieces and glued together? I should of taken a better picture, but you can see one in the top view.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
This bottle was blown in a mould, hence the mold seams, it would have been a two piece mould. if those mould marks end short of the lip, the lip was then applied after the bottle came out of the mould. Hence BIMAL, blown in mould applied lip. These went away fairly quickly after the advent of the automatic bottle machine just after the turn of the century.

Jim G

scubacanuck

Reaction score
This bottle was blown in a mould, hence the mold seams, it would have been a two piece mould. if those mould marks end short of the lip, the lip was then applied after the bottle came out of the mould. Hence BIMAL, blown in mould applied lip. These went away fairly quickly after the advent of the automatic bottle machine just after the turn of the century.

Jim G
Great info, thanks

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi