Damaged Old Sachem Bitters And Wigwam Tonic Bottle Value

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Harry,

If hit by a probe as you suggest, I would say more like bad luck than over-enthusisam. If you've run a probe, you know that even with the gentlest of touch, that style of bottle will not hold up to any level of probe contact.

Nola

Reaction score
Here's a example of a similar one I found with a graphite or iron pontil bottom. Usually a reddish or grayish color on bottom. The open pontil no color just a small round rough looking hole. LEON.View attachment 184977View attachment 184978

Thanks very much for the info, Leon. There isn't anything like that on my bottle.
I came across an Old Sachem Bitters bottle mold while researching my bottle and thought I would share it here for anyone who might be interested.
Hope that's okay.
You can see an example of the mold here-
http://www.philamuseum.org/collections/permanent/50524.html

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Harry,

If hit by a probe as you suggest, I would say more like bad luck than over-enthusisam. If you've run a probe, you know that even with the gentlest of touch, that style of bottle will not hold up to any level of probe contact.

Yes, I have done a fair bit of probing. Never had the too-common experience of piercing a bottle though. And, unless YOU are the prober, how do you know this damage was a result of bad luck and not over-exertion? It seems to me that you are assuming facts that are not in evidence, while I relied on the observable damage.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I usually go slow with the Probe & come to a stop when I seem to hit a bottle. But sometimes your just hitting a Rock or a Brick & it can be difficult to tell the differance sometimes. LEON.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I usually go slow with the Probe & come to a stop when I seem to hit a bottle. But sometimes your just hitting a Rock or a Brick & it can be difficult to tell the differance sometimes. LEON.

I agree, Leon, that distinguishing between brick and glass bottle and window glass is a learned skill. Some probers will be better than others at that skill. Experience makes a difference in "reading" the probe.

jarhead67

Reaction score
That puce color is nice. Damaged or not, it would look great in a shape/color window display.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Are you sure it's Puce, thought it looked amber & maybe the light artificially effecting color? LEON.

jarhead67

Reaction score
Are you sure it's Puce, thought it looked amber & maybe the light artificially effecting color? LEON.

Yup, you're right. Amber looks right. Amazing how it looks after I came back and looked at it again. Maybe my monitor was toning on me. Or maybe a trip to my ophthalmologist is in order.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger